sugar in breast milk, just the facts please... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that eating a healthy diet is important while breastfeeding, but how much does sugar consumption effect the milk?  I mean, if mom eats sweets does the baby get enough sugar to where they may have trouble sleeping?  Exactly how much sugar ends up in the milk itself??  looking for facts, not opinions on this one....

(I do know it takes a baby a lot longer than an adult to metabolize sugar.)

#2 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I know that human breastmilk has a higher concentration of lactose than does cow's milk. Here is an old link with some of the nutritional compositions of milk: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/milk_content.htm  It says that human breastmilk is 9.5% lactose compared with the milks of other animals. 

I don't know that any of us have specific knowledge about the question you are asking without doing research or looking through a biology book. Our cells need glucose, which they break down into useable things like ATP or pyruvates.  The protein and fat that we eat is metabolized, but can be converted to glucose if necessary.  The sugars we eat are broken down and converted into glucose, as I understand it.  Lactose is a molecule of galactose and glucose, sucrose is a molecule of fructose and glucose.  Fructose, galactose and glucose are monosaccharides, but the first two have to be metabolized and converted into something our cells can use.  That is my basic understanding.  The lactose in breastmilk is not there because we eat lactose, but according to an article on wikipedia, the breastmilk of diabetic mothers can contain more glucose and insulin and fewer fatty acids. So maybe that is a starting point for figuring out how breastmilk could contain more sugar, and at the expense of what.

gardendweller likes this.
#3 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The amount of sugar you eat does not affect the amount of sugar in your breastmilk. The milk producing cells regulate the nutrients.

This blog post has a good discussion of it http://creebreastfeeding.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/dear-lc-does-a-diabetic-mother’s-milk-have-more-sugar-in-it/
bayosgirl87 and gardendweller like this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 04:39 AM

Actually, what you eat doesn't really affect your breastmilk (except in unusual circumstances like starvation or a B12 deficiency). The composition of your milk is determined by the cells that produce the milk and is largely independent of what you eat.
bayosgirl87 likes this.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#5 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 11:04 AM

So that time my husband (in what I assume was a fit brought on by sleep-deprivation and new parenthood) said "I'm not getting chocolate for you, you'll give our baby diabetes" when I'd ask him to get me chocolate on day 3 post-partum  (insert rage here) - he was totally wrong?! Awesome.

But what about thrush? They say thrush can affect a bf mom & baby if there is too much sugar or dairy in the mom's diet. We have thrush, so it's on my mind....

Mama to J, born 9/4/2012. Some of the things we are into: co-sleeping, breastfeeding, & the Montessori method.

Visit my Montessori and natural parenting blog: http://milkweedmontessori.com/

#6 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurela View Post

But what about thrush? They say thrush can affect a bf mom & baby if there is too much sugar or dairy in the mom's diet. We have thrush, so it's on my mind....

I wonder the exact same thing!  I had a fudge incident and it seemed like dd had a harder time falling asleep than usual, but she also had a visit from her cousins that day which could also have explained the restlessness!

I am going to ask our ped. at our next check up, I will keep everyone posted!

#7 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

There's something kinda like caffeine in chocolate, it's possible the baby can get trace amounts of that through the milk. Sugar feeds thrush if you have it, makes it harder to get rid of. I know from brewing that lactose doesn't ferment so I wonder if maybe thrush doesn't feed on lactose. I think I read about a study said it didn't. If you're passing thrush back and forth between you and baby a low carb low sugar diet for you would help eliminate it in your body.

The nutrient content stays the same in the milk though and the sugar is all lactose. Types of fat in milk can change a bit based on what you're eating. The balance still stays the same though, basically. Proteins can get passed to baby that is why cow's milk or soy sensitive babies need their moms to do elimination diets.

#8 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thrush can be improved with a low-sugar diet because reducing your sugar will reduce your blood sugar which is helping to fed the thrush. It won't directly help your baby's thrush but if yours is better then you won't keep reinfecting her.
gardendweller likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the knowledge everyone!  We don't have thrush, thankfully, but I DO want to have a few pieces of Halloween candy!!!:yum

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page