Could you eat goat cheese/milk while nursing if no cow's milk?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5 month old, exclusively breastfed, has had symptoms off and on, but they seem to be getting much worse. Now he is spitting up a lot, and he has just started pooing about 8 times a day or more (but it's just a little poo, see below). Ready to take action!!!!

A little cow's dairy that I ingested never seemed to affect him before, so is it weird that it is now?

He must either have a stomach bug or dairy is really starting to get to him.....so I am cutting out cow's milk.....

.....my quesiton is, can I have goat cheese?

Most of my failure in cutting out cow's milk is that I have been STARVING as his nursing needs are going up (growing boy), and I crave something beyond just meat and vegetables and rice. So I think adding goat's cheese would help ME.

So to all you BF'ing moms who had to cut "dairy", could you eat goat's milk products?

THANKS! :)

edit: his stools don't seem overly watery. In fact, they seem a little "gel like"....no strings of mucus, but to "me", it looks like the gel aspect could be mucus. Because the stools don't seem really "watery", and because they take up very little of his diaper, though they are frequent, I am leaning towards dairy problems as opposed to a stomach virus. Not sure if this logic holds up, but that is my logic. Called pediatrician and waiting to hear, guessing she wont' have me come in because he has no temp and seems okay.

#2 of 5 Old 10-31-2013, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I did not personally have this problem, but I think I have heard that goat's milk is o.k. even for those that can't do dairy!

#3 of 5 Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM

no idea but following. I have had to give up all cow milk products and I miss cheese. :(

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#4 of 5 Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If he has a true dairy allergy, then no you should not. If it is an intolerance he may be able to tolerate goat's milk. At this age you probably won't know the difference though. I would completely cut out all dairy for a minimum of two weeks to let it clear your system and see if he gets better. Then after that you can trial it and see how it goes.

For now you can try avocado's, coconut oil, nuts, eggs,etc... to help bulk up your meals. I know it is really tough. BTDT for three years with a baby with multiple intolerances, dairy not being one of them thankfully but it took some trial and error to figure everything out.

Is he teething by any chance? That can make things worse even for a baby with no issues.

#5 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! Wanted to add that I found out the stool issues are from a cold virus, and yes, can cause g.i. Issues. I dunno if my baby is sensitive now to dairy or not. I know I am though, increases my brain fog....so I may try goats cheese and see what it does for me. Hard to give up all cheese!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page