Elimination diet and she is still having issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been on the total elimination diet for almost a whole 2 weeks now and I haven't seen a change. In fact this morning I have seen more blood in her stool than I have ever seen before. I only eat bananas for breakfast, and for lunch and dinner it's the exact same rice, turkey, patties, zucchini, and an avocado. I had a few mess ups when my husband cooked in vegetable oil( which is soybean oil) I'm just wondering of I should give up the breastfeeding and switch to elecare. I am at a total loss and want to do what's best for her in the long run. I just wanted to get other moms feed back on what they have done in the past as well. The GI doc wants me to keep on the diet for 2 more months but if she is bleeding and we can't figure out the allergy wouldn't that be worse to keep going down this road? I know that breastfeeding is best but is it really in her case?
#2 of 2 Old 11-10-2013, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't know your back story, but I have heard from at least one mother who had the experience where she felt like her child had allergies, so she started on the elimination diet, and things got worse rather than better in terms of blood in the stool.  It's possible that this is what happens when you first start, and things will get better as you keep on and the gut heals itself.  It's also possible that avocado & bananas could be the problem.  Some people are allergic to bananas, avocados and kiwis, and are also allergic to latex. And then if you have a pollen allergy, you can get oral allergy syndrome that is a cross-reaction with the pollen that are found in certain fruits. Zucchini is related to a ragweed allergy, I think.  So it's possible that you haven't gotten all the reactive foods out of your diet. 

There are other causes of blood in the stool.  Kelllymom has an article about it: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bloodystool/

Only you can say whether it is worth it to try elecare, but if I really thought food allergies were the most likely culprit, I might feel it was worth trying while maintaining my supply, and see if it made a difference. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page