Breastfeeding while pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 21mo still nurses regularly and I just discovered I'm pregnant. I was working on slowly cutting down her nurses before my BFP, but our life has recently gone through a bit of turmoil and she's back to nursing rather often, especially at night. For the most part I don't mind; my boobs/nipples aren't super tender so it's not a big deal, but should I try to at least night wean her? I got to thinking about all the excess hormones floating around and how if a baby nurses during the night it can assist in preventing pregnancy because of extra hormone release, etc. Can her nursing at night affect the new baby or cause a miscarriage? Am I being a crazy pregnant woman and worrying about nothing? I would like to slowly start weaning her, at least down to a naptime/bedtime nurse, but I think I might have to wait a few months for that, until our life settles down. (I don't want to bombard her with too many changes all at once...)

Theatre-techie at heart, married to a theatre-techie hubby,and mama to an incredible baby girl, (h20homebirth.gifJan 14, 2012) and expecting a surprise in July 2014!  We are having a blastbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif, andfemalesling.GIF.
#2 of 3 Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi Hannabee!

Congrats on your pregnancy! Nursing through a pregnancy won't harm your new babe, so no worries there. You may find your supply drops off partway through, which could lead to your daughter weaning herself. I know some kids who did, mine, however, did not!

I had DS1 night weaned before #2 was born, but he's nursing at night again.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hilary Flower, it is an excellent resource!
#3 of 3 Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you!!! Will definitely look for the book smile.gif

Theatre-techie at heart, married to a theatre-techie hubby,and mama to an incredible baby girl, (h20homebirth.gifJan 14, 2012) and expecting a surprise in July 2014!  We are having a blastbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif, andfemalesling.GIF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page