Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.mothering.com/forum/27-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Toxics n breastmilk (http://www.mothering.com/forum/27-breastfeeding/1392588-toxics-n-breastmilk.html)

katy1844 11-06-2013 06:54 AM

Hello ladies,
I just had a friend who was told "
research is starting to show that women have so many pollutants/toxins in their BM and are passing them on to their babies. Even if they were "clean" during pregnancy makes no difference. These are toxins from childhood, like plastics, that never leave the body. Not to mention, with all of the vaccines we have been given, we are not doing a good job of passing on any natural immunities."

I of course think this is crap- but would love some advice on how to respond in a mature Scientific way ;-). Thanks for
The help!!!

Katy

dinahx 11-06-2013 08:12 AM

Cows do the exact same thing. Especially conventional cows. I don't regularly have my skin coated with a pesticide, permethrin, to keep off flies, but conventional cows do!

dinahx 11-06-2013 08:13 AM

And the best rebuttal is 'yes, true, we live in a sad world, but it is still so much better to BF, isn't that incredible!'

rachelsmama 11-06-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy1844 View Post

Hello ladies,
I just had a friend who was told "
research is starting to show that women have so many pollutants/toxins in their BM and are passing them on to their babies. Even if they were "clean" during pregnancy makes no difference. These are toxins from childhood, like plastics, that never leave the body. Not to mention, with all of the vaccines we have been given, we are not doing a good job of passing on any natural immunities."

I of course think this is crap- but would love some advice on how to respond in a mature Scientific way ;-). Thanks for
The help!!!

Katy

Sure, babies aren't getting protection from things like measles anymore, but breastfed babies are still getting some protection from all those colds, and intestinal bugs, etc....that are in circulation, while formula doesn't offer protection against any of those.

bayosgirl87 11-06-2013 01:33 PM

Breast milk from even the most malnourished, junk food eating, toxin loaded mom is still worlds better than formula.

CocoBird 11-06-2013 01:36 PM

my response would be, i hope you aren't feeding your baby bm! lol gross. sorry, couldn't help myself. 

cynthiamoon 11-06-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayosgirl87 View Post

Breast milk from even the most malnourished, junk food eating, toxin loaded mom is still worlds better than formula.

And where do you get this from? There's no way it's true.

Anyway, as for the original question, it is true that we pass on lots of junk and toxins to our kids through breastfeeding. I don't know how it affects immunology though.