Can supply drop in half a day? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm feeling anxious as BFing was such a struggle for us to establish and I absolutely do not want to jeopardize it. Please reassure me that my supply wont drop in this short time. yesterday because I worked in the evening and came home to a horrible fight with my husband, I didn't eat anything for about 9 hours. I also got only 3 hours sleep last night. Normally I've been averaging 6-7 hours of sleep. Would the stress and sudden lack of sleep affect my supply? There's no way for me to tell because my breasts normally feel soft throughout the day after the first morning feed. I know worrying can only make it worse, so I'm trying to hold it together! It's hard when you have depression and marital problems on top of it and trying to raise a baby. Thanks.

#2 of 3 Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I honestly don't know, but trying to answer just because no one else has yet.

My understanding is that the worst thing you can do for your supply is not put your baby to the breast. That signals to your body to slow down production. Eating and drinking is important, but I don't think it's as important as making sure to put the baby on the boob. I think your body would just burn some of your fat reserves (from your belly, the arms, etc) to make milk, if you didn't have food in your system. I have noticed that if I don't eat a lot, I suddenly loose some fat on my body, and I think I burned it to make milk. Thought that is a warning that maybe you should eat more, if you notice your weight going down, before you "could" loose supply.

Sleep...I wouldn't worry. So many of us get so little. For various reasons. A lot of us go through stressful times, myself included. Good luck!!!

bayosgirl87 likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks. I caught up on sleep and food last night and today, plus my LO is pooping and peeing the same amount so I think I'm ok. I have lost weight since giving birth, but it's a steady .5 or so pound a week, so I don't think that's cause for concern.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page