Nails - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

After 8 months of virtually problem-free breastfeeding, Baby has developed a habit of kneading my breasts with her hands.  And it hurts!  I keep her nails trimmed and filed, but I must not be doing it right because those little nails are still so hard and ready to scrape.  I try mitts and socks, but she just pulls them right off.

Any ideas?

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#2 of 4 Old 11-26-2013, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Try a nursing necklace, see if it will keep her hands busy.

Backroads likes this.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I'd recommend giving her something for her hands. A small blanket, toy, nursing necklace, your finger to hold, baby's ear, etc. I also tend to pin one arm as much as I can between their body and mine, but that depends on your positioning, but one less wandering hand is good. But yeah, I don't mind gentle touches, but I just redirect all of it because being pinched, poked, punched, scratched, etc. is not tolerable for me, so it is not allowed. At my babies' age, they don't understand yet, but can be redirected. I usually just give them each a spit rag (small size cloth diapers) and that keeps their hands busy.

And as far as cutting nails go, yeah baby nails are sharp no matter how short they are in my experience, so you aren't doing it wrong smile.gif
Backroads likes this.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 12-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Ditto to nursing/teething necklace and or giving her a finger ideas. That's what I do. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page