What is your word for nursing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest always called in nanas too.  Then my second morphed that into "angas" :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM

My youngest is 17 months and has said neh- neh since preverbal.  She also pats her chest and and says "neh neh bye bye bed" if she is tired and wants to nurse to fall asleep.  My now seven year old just made a eh-eh-eh-eh sound until she said nurse.  I nursed her until about 2.5. I often ask, "do you want to nurse?" so this one might transition to that too soon.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#33 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 PM

"Nee-see".  A verb and a noun - as in "I want to nee-see" and "I want to see your nee-sees!"  :lol

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#34 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Probably falls into the "not right" category,be we called it "the buffet" Always open and all you can eat :)  My son weaned before he picked up a word for it.  

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#35 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

Booby.  As in "do you want some booby?" and "we're going upstairs to have booby".  Not sure how we got to that, but there it is.  Admittedly there have been times when I wished we called it something a little more subtle....like when we're out and about and my breaking-down toddler wails "I want some BOOOOOOOBY!!!!!!"

With my older son, it was "boobies", but when he was an older nurser (2 1/2?), he told the cashier at the store, "I'm gonna go home and get some boobies.", so I changed the terminology when it came to my second baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

With DS1 I attempted to dub it milky, but DH always referred to it as boobie, and that's what my first 3 all called it. Now with number 4, I'm back to trying for milky or nursie. But he can't talk yet, so we'll see what name he comes up with

With my little one, he calls it milky, or milkies, if he wants plural.  He also refers to them as "this one" and "that one", depending on which one he's closest to.  lol

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#36 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Hehe, when I was little, I called it "ni-nee" - kind of like going "nighty-night" I suppose. :) My sister and I called breasts "milks" and we still sometimes jokingly call them "our milks" :p
For my baby (4.5mos) DH and I just say "milk" but in an embarrassingly babyish voice, so it sounds like we're saying, "meelk" lol! I'll ask, "Do you want some meelk?" while signing milk to him and he'll either fuss and turn his head away or get all happy and excited, pretty cute. :)
Sometimes if he's just laying there because he's been popping on and off so many times, I'll ask him again if he wants "meelk" and then tell him that the milk shop is closing when I put my nursing flap back up haha.

#37 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 PM

We say nursie. My first called it 'aa-ee' until she could say nursie. My second called it 'gee gee' (attempting 'nursie') so the rest of the family called it the sameduring his toddlerhood. My youngest is only 6 mon so we'll see what he comes up with. I love how the word means both milk and breast. ' Mommy, he wants to have nursie' or to a friendly stranger at the park, 'My little brother is having milk from Mommy's nursies'. Or when ODS was a toddler and saw my sister nursing his baby cousin, 'My Mommy has gee gees to'
#38 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 PM

My oldest weaned before she called it anything. DS1 called it Ninies or sometimes Nii-niis. DS2 called it ging-ging before he could sign or talk, but now calls it Milkies and Side. Will be interesting to se what the new baby will call it, but I'm guessing he'll just copy his brother. Lol
#39 of 71 Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 AM

With my first, I called it NeeNee Soup. But as he learned to talk, picking up words like "orange juice" "apple juice" "grape juice" he began to refer to nursing as "NeeNee Juice" which was just fine by me. So that's what we called it when the others came along.

#40 of 71 Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 AM

I always called it nursing to my son and he would give the nursing/milk sign before he started talking. But then he called it "nay" when he started talking, then "nay nay" and it morphed to "nonnie" before we weaned at 27 mos when I was pregnant. He still calls it "nonnies" and he always says to my 4 mos nursling "drink you nonnie, sister!" When she is crying. Ha ha! I am sure DD will have her own term as nonnie morphs...

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#41 of 71 Old 12-06-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Nippie. As in, "would you like some nippie?" I've accidentally said it out in public before. No biggie, my pride was left in the hospital room. I'm just waiting for when he starts talking and yells "NIPPPIIIEEEE!" in front of a bunch of people, lol.

#42 of 71 Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

DD 1 was "ies" as in "boobies". DD # 2 is "booby". Like the rest of you, there were times where I wished we had chosen a more subtle name.  :eyesroll :rotflmao  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#43 of 71 Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

We just call it nursing, most of the time - "Do you want to nurse?" But sometimes we ask him if he wants "milks". No idea why/how it became plural. DS has recently taken to wailing/babbling either "mimimimimimimimi" or "mimomimimomimomimo" when he wants to nurse. At first I thought he was just saying mom, but I've since realized he's saying his version of milk. When he actually says mom (a word he only recently learned - he had to figure out "ball", "dog", "blueberry", "book", "daddy", and several other more important words first :p), it never has the "ee" sound in it, like milk does.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
#44 of 71 Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post

We just call it nursing, most of the time - "Do you want to nurse?" But sometimes we ask him if he wants "milks". No idea why/how it became plural.

Because there's two of them! :twins

An embarrassing story. At one point, when my youngest was then  around just turning 1 year old she was saying, "Mina Mina!" to nurse, I told my husband, "I think she's trying to say, "nummy" sideways," He immediately corrected me by saying, "No, every time she asks to nurse when you're up and around you say, "in a minute." She's trying to say, "In a minute!"

OMG. I was so ashamed. duh.gif  My poor toddler put on the back burner because I was cooking or dealing with her siblings. The trials of having to be "the caboose."

All my kids were like Pavlov's dogs when I would get on the phone with a client. I'd answer and they'd be on my lap lifting my shirt in a moment! "She's a captive audience. She can't move, I'll move in and she can't tell me to wait!" I'm sure my kids all thought this, because I tend to move around a lot, but sit still when talking to clients, and they knew that from a young age.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#45 of 71 Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 AM

We call it either "mama milk," "milkies," or some times just "milk."  These all started with my first and we've just stuck with that for the second.  DD1 is 3 and self-weaned some time ago.  Now she likes to tell me that her 10-month old brother needs "mama milk" and she needs "Avery milk" (cow, almond, soy, coconut, etc).  As I'm typing this she asked for "Avery milk."  I asked what that meant and was told "it's in the refrigerator."  When I asked where her brother's milk was, I was told "in my mom's boobs."  :p

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#46 of 71 Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 PM

DS1 calls my breasts "moots" because they make "mama moot".  We (as in DH and I) called it mama milk and when he was a young toddler he pronounced milk "moot".  So that stuck and when he wants to nurse he still asks for "moot" or "mama moot".  I remember once going into Victoria Secret when he was about maybe 2 years old.  He looked around, got this look on his face, and said "mooooots" :rotflmao 

He also calls his favored side "the front" and his less favorite side "the back".  And, now that I'm tandem nursing sometimes I will give him the empty side if I know his brother will need to nurse soon.  When that happens sometimes he will stop nursing, look at me, and say "This one only has bubbles".

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#47 of 71 Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Lmbo!!! I got a kick outta that PP

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#48 of 71 Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 PM

Meimei's (pronounced May-may) My first daughter Ada came up with this name for breastfeeding. As a three year old, she used it as a name for one of our chickens. Our youngest Helen at 2.5 is still nursing and asking for MeiMei's. 

#49 of 71 Old 12-09-2013, 11:29 AM

We call it boobie "do you need some boobie?".  My non-biological 4 year old call it milk-things "I think she needs your milk things!!!"

#50 of 71 Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 PM

My daughter always called it "the boob."

#51 of 71 Old 12-09-2013, 02:16 PM

My little lady (15 months) calls it "gickies," which is her version of "milkies."  She can definitely say "milkies," but she's so used to calling it gickies that it just stuck.  I love it!!

#52 of 71 Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
My DD went through a phase where she would yell "I WANT NIPPLE!" Then she graduated to "I want milk".

My DS will just say "I want milk. YOUR Milk! "
#53 of 71 Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We call it "milkies." Sometimes singular or plural, depending on context. DD (14mos) has said "mil" (like MEAL), so that may be what she intends to call it also. I just love when she attacks me, furiously signing "milk" and trying to move my shirt to find the Milkies. She's so intense, it's funny. :-)
#54 of 71 Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

He also calls his favored side "the front" and his less favorite side "the back".  And, now that I'm tandem nursing sometimes I will give him the empty side if I know his brother will need to nurse soon.  When that happens sometimes he will stop nursing, look at me, and say "This one only has bubbles".

Best thing I've read all day!  blueman.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#55 of 71 Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM

DS is almost 2 and he calls it 'millllhh' while signing vigorously, often simultaneously pulling up my shirt. Also, he has learned the word for bra and says, 'bra off, please'. He differentiates by specifying 'cow milk' if he's talking about other kinds of milk. And during nursing after a couple of minutes he always says 'swis sies' and switches to the other side. We easily 'swis sies' six or seven times a nursing session.
#56 of 71 Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 PM

Before she could speak, she would make a sucking sound, but later on she called it "milk milk". 

#57 of 71 Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 PM

Oh, the sucking sound! I guess that's what it would be called... DS began making that noise to signal that he wanted to nurse when he was preverbal. He would move his tongue the same way he does when nursing, and it made the funniest clicky kind of noise. I forgot about that. He did it involuntarily when he was very small and just about to latch on, but a few months later it seemed pretty clear to me he was doing it on purpose to tell me he wanted to nurse.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#58 of 71 Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 AM

The very first time my son mentioned nursing, he called it "bob." Now, though, he calls them the "boofs." "Boof, please!"

#59 of 71 Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM

My son called nursing "snacky". It was subtle enough that we would ask him in public and no one truly knew what a special request it was. It makes my heart melt to think back on it now.
#60 of 71 Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

:lol I have a "chocolate" and "vanilla" side, due some skin pigmentation changes that occurred during pregnancy (and which the doctor informed me yesterday are most likely permanent :irked). But that's really a joke for dh and me, ds is still too young to have any clue.

And yes, similar to what someone else mentioned, he also comes, looks me right in the eye, and starts curling and moving his tongue in his open mouth, like he's already so excited about nursing he can't help but pretend he's already doing it!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page