What is your word for nursing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

I find it so interesting when I hear my friends have such different names for nursing. I imagine we have a huge number of different terms for it here at Mothering where breastfeeding is the norm. We always called it "ninna". What is your word for nursing? :love

Monica S likes this.

#2 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Booby.  As in "do you want some booby?" and "we're going upstairs to have booby".  Not sure how we got to that, but there it is.  Admittedly there have been times when I wished we called it something a little more subtle....like when we're out and about and my breaking-down toddler wails "I want some BOOOOOOOBY!!!!!!"

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#3 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I guess I'm just really boring.  I always just asked them if they wanted to nurse.  Sometimes with this babe (DD3) it gets a bit cutesy and I ask her if she wants to nursey.  That's about it.

DD1 made a nnnnnn kind of sound before she could talk, and then said nurse pretty clearly once she could.  DD2 never had a noise, and it seemed like she could clearly ask to nurse since forever.  That can't be true, though.  Just a false memory.

#4 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My kid adopted "see-sees" as his term. I was calling it "nursies" and he took the last syllable and repeated it. I like it- subtle during those public breakdowns the PP mentioned!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#5 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My older DD says "mummy milk". I say mummy milk or just milk. Youngest just pulls at my shirt and says "ha! Aha! Aha!" so far.
edensmama and blessed23 like this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
With DS1 I attempted to dub it milky, but DH always referred to it as boobie, and that's what my first 3 all called it. Now with number 4, I'm back to trying for milky or nursie. But he can't talk yet, so we'll see what name he comes up with

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#7 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 02:06 PM

We always referred to it as milk so my daughter ended up calling it "mote"  :-)

#8 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We just called it "milk". My toddler says "Mom milk, please!"

HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#9 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 05:58 PM

"nana" <3 and Iove it. It started with me say nurse - wa" do you want to have a nurse" he started calling it Nana . Ive only heard one other child say that its funny it was this amazing friend (I still have) and we clicked right away so much like eachother it was strange. Then Soren (1 1/2 at the time) said nana and her mouth dropped. her son said that too aweeeee. friends for life

adinanikki likes this.
#10 of 71 Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 PM

I just call it nursing or mommy milk, but DS (who nursed until 2.5 yo) called it "side" or "mommy side".  He picked that up from me saying something about nursing on the other side. :rotflmao

foodymama likes this.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#11 of 71 Old 12-03-2013, 03:41 AM

My son called me MumMum when he first started talking, and nursing became "MumMum time". 

#12 of 71 Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 AM

I called it Boo-Bah when I was a nursling, and it was embarrassing to be out in public with a toddler screaming something that sounds so much like boob and pulling on your shirt. So, I called it Milkie from the beginning. She took that and turned it into MeeMee :joy

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#13 of 71 Old 12-03-2013, 10:04 AM

We've used "bob" since the beginning in anticipation of nursing a talking toddler at some point (14 months now). Kind of like boob but I wouldn't feel weird about her yelling "I need bob" in the middle of a store. Still have to see if she chooses a different word herself.
#14 of 71 Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ha! The word in my family of origin was "bobbies" smile.gif

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#15 of 71 Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Most of my kids called it "Nummies" or "Num Num." My youngest had the most words for it, she was very verbal very early (all my kids were) at around 7-9 months, it was "OOOHM- BAH!"  at around a year she was calling it, "ONE!" because I would ask her, "Do you want the other one?" Then it became "Nummies" because that's what we all called it. (Capitalized because she usually yelled it.)

My middle one was about 8 months old and called it "Laddle-laddle." I think it was the mouth movement she would make when she nursed. (Try and say the word and you'll understand.) Then it became "Num Num." My oldest called it "Muck" for a while, but we changed it to "Num Num" for privacy's sake.

I remember my nephew was nearly 3, and we were waiting for our food in a restaurant. His food wasn't coming and he finally got upset, looked right at his Mama and yelled, "I want Nummies and I want them right now!" Of course, people thought he was talking about food. His Mama just slipped him under her shirt and he was able to stave off his hunger until our Denny's waitress got around to getting our food to us.

edensmama likes this.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#16 of 71 Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 PM

We say boo boos because when we get hurt around the house we say owie...or I just ask her nif she wants milk while I sign for milk. She's only 8 months and can't wait to see what she names it herself smile.gif
#17 of 71 Old 12-04-2013, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I usually refer to it as milkies. Like when I am pumping, I tell him I am making some milkies for him. We shall see what he calls it. When my DW can't rock him back to sleep, she just says, "We need the boob" or "Boob"! I hope he doesn't pick up on that one.
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#18 of 71 Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 PM

We also use Num nums. I said it one day and it stuck!!

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#19 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 AM

I remember when my son started signing it around 10 months old. Brought tears to my eyes to know he knew how to better communicate what he wanted.

Now and ever since being able to talk it's "mommy milkies"

#20 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I feel so boring.  We just call it nursing. Even so there are still times when having my nearly four year old ask, "can we nurse?" in a public place can be a little awkward, but I suppose it is better than him asking for boobies. 

#21 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Each of my 3 children had their own word for nursing. For ds1, it was 'ongi'. For ds2, it was 'nanas', and for dd now 22mths, it is 'lilies'.  So i would just say to them, do you want-whichever was their word. When talking with  other adults, i usually used the word 'nursing.' Sometimes, in mixed company, i have been known to say, 'dd wants lilies, i'll just be a minute'-only to  have them stare at me, baffled...

#22 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM

We call it "Nyo-nyo"  DS is only 7 weeks, but hubby is from Kenya and that's the swahili word for breasts. :)

HappyHappyMommy and Tron like this.
#23 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 02:00 PM

I've always said milk.  My first son called it "nuh" or "nuhs" and my second son said "mi" (like i in igloo) and when he was a bit older said "mi douch" for milk couch because we always nursed in the same spot on the couch.  Nuh and mi were among my boys' first words.  I thought it was really sweet.  I had heard people having toddlers shout out "BOOB" in public places which I knew would embarrass me a ton so I was careful to always call it milk so if they were asking for milk I wouldn't get strange looks ;)

Ashley-wife of a grad student. Homeschooling, CDing, knitting mommy of Monkey 4/08 and Kangaroo 1/11 with 3 angels waiting in heaven
Hyena cart WAH mama!

#24 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM

My kids called it side-side because I always talked about moving them to the other breast and called it other side.  They are older now and still joke about saying side side.

#25 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM

I nursed DD until she was 3.  Without realizing it I guess every time we sat down to nurse I would say eat to her twice for encouragement.  Sooo....nursing time became eat eats!  

She is 5 now and associates everything having to do with breasts as eat eats.  She knows a bra is called a bra but she calls them eat eats!  Enjoy your time nursing and think of the word you use for it fondly because it will be over before you know it.

Married to my soul mate and totally devoted to DD (6/08) and enjoying our 2 cats and many fish. Wishing for a "green" house in the country where we can raise more children!
#26 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 02:27 PM

My son called it Neener's. it was the term he came up with and we stuck with it. 

#27 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM

My daughter called it "nay-nay". And when she wanted to switch, she would say "oh one nay-nay" (oh=other). My friends and I always get a good laugh when we say "oh one nay-nay". Sounds like something to chant.
#28 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 03:03 PM

In our home it has been called moke, nurse, and switch. Moke was my little one's attempt at saying milk. Nurse is what my older kids call it for my newborn. Switch was because I would always say to my ds, "let's switch" when switching him to the other side. He caught on and called it switch. Of course he pronounced it wich. Having a little one crying out "wich, wich, wich!" was always fun in the store. 

#29 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM

My babe is only 7 weeks. We don't have a word yet. When I talk to her, I ask if she is hungry and wants milk. Haha. I guess I'm boring. Maybe we will find a name for it later. I'm in Ecuador and I have some photos and links about breastfeeding on my blog, if anyone wants to check it out. http://sofiasays.blog.com/archives/28/ 

#30 of 71 Old 12-05-2013, 03:58 PM

When my 3rd got tired at night I used to ask him, "Do you want to go night-night?" He shortened it to "ni' ni'" and used it for nursing at all times day.

I will say weaning a 3 year old is harder than weaning a 2 year old. I weaned one at 2+ because I was pregnant again, and although it wasn't difficult, I always felt I cheated him. Maybe someone could start another thread on weaning experiences?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page