should I be taking a vitamin/supplement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7 month old is ebf and nurses a lot(esp at night).I quit my prescription vitamin shortly after birth.If I need to take something,I'd like something more natural.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Rainbow light prenatal, they are whole food based and contain a probiotic. I get them at target (that is the cheapest) but you can get them almost anywhere! I have even got them at Walmart but haven't been able to find them in a while there. You really are taking them more for yourself because the baby is taking nutrients from you!

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I use fenugreek supplements as well as fennel essential oil.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
Old 12-09-2013, 09:49 AM

I have taken Garden of Life whole foods prenatal since the beginning of my pregnancy. It's a lot more comprehensive than most prenatal vitamins and without additives. It is pricey but worth it.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

we don't have a whole foods.

which rainbow light do you take,apeydef?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 AM

The prenatal ones with probiotic

Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 AM

They have been highly rated and are not that pricey

Old 12-09-2013, 11:49 AM

Go to target.com and type in rainbow light they pop right up

Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 AM

You certainly can  get all the nutrition you need from food during breastfeeding. Prenatal vitamins are NOT intended to be taken during lactation, as lactation is not a high stress nor draining body state. Pregnancy IS both of these. Pregnancy and lactation have virtually nothing in common, in terms of what your body needs, what hormones are being excreted, caloric requirements and how your body is working. (The way the female human body was designed, lactation is actually the normal physiological state of an adult woman. Cycling, bleeding and ovulating month after month was not what our bodies were intended to do. Now, of course, for most women, having a baby every 2-3 years and nursing from late adolescence until after menopause isn't workable, but it doesn't change the fact that our bodies were meant to lactate for most of our adult lives.)

Good healthy food, and if you feel you need it a regular one a day vitamin without Iron is fine. Iron supps are only intended for people with real iron deficient anemia, which is not common during lactation. Iron supplements are also, if not required due to iron deficiency anemia, very hard on the circulatory system and on the liver. You can usually get all the iron you need from food. If you are anemic, make sure your HCP investigates what type of anemia you may have as not all forms of anemia requires iron supplements. If you are not iron deficient anemic, there is no medical reason to take an iron supplement and most prenatal vitamins contain more iron that you need during pregnancy. During lactation you require about 15 mgs of iron a day,  (the same amount you require when you are not nursing or not pregnant) and that is easily acquired with a healthy diet.

Your body was meant to lactate and you don't require anything special in addition to a healthy diet. :joy

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
Old 12-23-2013, 01:23 PM

While I was breastfeeding I used a supplement called Mami's Lact that I purchased from www.Global Pharmedica.com that has Fenugreek, Vitamin D, Calcium and Niacin that promotes milk supply. I used this supplement for two days and doubled my milk supply! Not only that but after the fourth day my milk supply quadrupled and I had to actually start freezing my milk because I was making so much which as a mom was the greatest feeling! So I highly recommend Mami's Lact for replenishing your milk supply.

:joy 

Old 12-31-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies!!If I were to take a multivitamin,any to suggest?

Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM

I like the Rainbow Light brand. After I finish up my leftover prenatals, I'll be switching back to these (on awesome sale right now). 

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieLC View Post

You certainly can  get all the nutrition you need from food during breastfeeding. Prenatal vitamins are NOT intended to be taken during lactation, as lactation is not a high stress nor draining body state. Pregnancy IS both of these. Pregnancy and lactation have virtually nothing in common, in terms of what your body needs, what hormones are being excreted, caloric requirements and how your body is working. (The way the female human body was designed, lactation is actually the normal physiological state of an adult woman. Cycling, bleeding and ovulating month after month was not what our bodies were intended to do. Now, of course, for most women, having a baby every 2-3 years and nursing from late adolescence until after menopause isn't workable, but it doesn't change the fact that our bodies were meant to lactate for most of our adult lives.)

Good healthy food, and if you feel you need it a regular one a day vitamin without Iron is fine. Iron supps are only intended for people with real iron deficient anemia, which is not common during lactation. Iron supplements are also, if not required due to iron deficiency anemia, very hard on the circulatory system and on the liver. You can usually get all the iron you need from food. If you are anemic, make sure your HCP investigates what type of anemia you may have as not all forms of anemia requires iron supplements. If you are not iron deficient anemic, there is no medical reason to take an iron supplement and most prenatal vitamins contain more iron that you need during pregnancy. During lactation you require about 15 mgs of iron a day,  (the same amount you require when you are not nursing or not pregnant) and that is easily acquired with a healthy diet.

Your body was meant to lactate and you don't require anything special in addition to a healthy diet. :joy

I understand and completely agree that lactation is a natural part of life and doesn't require anything extra nutritionally...in a perfect world. But these days our soils are so depleted that even eating a completely whole foods, "nutrient dense", even organic diet does not gaurantee that all one's nutritional needs will be met. I personally think it's a good idea for everyone to take a good quality multivitamin/mineral supplement. Of course, if iron is a concern, there are plenty made without it. I would rather have an "insurance policy" than not.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 PM

After researching different vitamins and whats in them Ive found the best is http://www.megafood.com/. They are a whole foods vitamin which your body absorbs more readily rather than synthetic vitamins made from rocks crap.gif

We are a treehugger.gif family by nature...my beloved partner in life hippie.gifour little drummer boydrum.gif(Apr.2011) and Autumnal girlflower.gif(Oct.2013)       goorganic.jpgsigncirc1.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif 

User Tag List