Safe herbal supplements for hypothyroid while breastfeeding?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-24-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure my thyroid is low, I'm 8 weeks postpartum and in the past month I've gained back 5 pounds (after losing all my pregnancy weight in a week)  and have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism-- most noticeably my hands and feet are always freezing, my temperature runs consistently low at 97.1, fatigue (although that's definitely a general pp sign), feeling anemic (i'm not anymore, and i supplement like crazy), dry skin, sparse outer eyebrows (they've shed even more since birth), etc.... and I need to do something about it.

I'm pretty familiar with what herbs support the kidneys, liver, adrenals and thyroid (got to help all of them together to be effective) .. but as far as what is SAFE for breastfeeding, i'm pretty lost. I know that bladderwrack (kelp) which is the recommended source of iodine for the thyroid is contraindicated for breastfeeding. When i google the names of herbs and whether or not they're safe it just says check with dr... it has to say that for just about every supplement and herb in existence though! 

Does anyone have personal experience using a blended herbal thyroid support formula while breastfeeding? Which one did you use? Did you have any symptoms with baby or you? Was it effective?

the main herbs that i know are effective for thyroid are:

eleuthero

echinacea

bugleweed

bladderwrack (apparently not recommended, but i'm sure eating lots of seaweed for the iodine will be fine)

ashwaghanda

rehmannia

schisandra

Other things you can do for low thyroid are taking probiotics, going gluten free and avoiding food that contain goitrogens (uncooked) like kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, peanuts, etc.

I really don't want to go the western route of blood tests and medication, I know my body well and I don't need a blood test to tell me something is off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

I don't really use herbs for treatment (sorry) but I think Kellymom is often a really good source of advice for breastfeeding contradictions. Have you checked there? 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 12-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maca Root

Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and due with #6 3/2014

#4 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

ashwaganda is not good for breast-feeding

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page