Interested in becoming an IBCLC without an RN...educational requirements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By ashleyfreeman

#1 of 9 Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I currently have my bachelor's degree in criminal justice. So although I have the required college courses of psychology, sociology, biology and the likes, I still need to enroll in about 7 other courses. Has anybody gone through this and taken individual online courses to become an IBCLC? I do NOT want to get my RN. I have been doing homework for weeks and am very interested in taking the exam. I just don't know where to start when it comes to finishing the required college courses. I notice some online schools have one class that I need but then they don't have the other. Advice and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated :)

pokeyac and florabella612 like this.
#2 of 9 Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi ashleyfreeman! Welcome to Mothering! I don't know much about the current requirements to be an IBCLC, but most of the ones I know are not RN's. They did the coursework and practical hours but no nursing programs. Good luck! It's a very important but tough job.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM

Here's the link to the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. They are the ONLY body that certifies IBCLCs.

Pathways:

http://iblce.org/certify/pathways/

Certification eligibility:

http://iblce.org/certify/eligibility-criteria/

FAQs

http://iblce.org/certify/faqs/

Preparing for certification

http://iblce.org/certify/preparing-for-ibclc-certification/

application info including fees

http://iblce.org/certify/certification-application-information/

These are some pages, so you want to click around the site and get all the Pathways and prerequisites to read. You can also ask for a packet and talk to people at the IBLCE. Most candidates take 3-5 years to complete their coursework, patient contact hours, reading, studying etc before they sit for the Boards. You must complete all your coursework, CERPS, patient contact hours etc in 5 years or less (it was 3 years when I first did it, but I've been doing this a long time) and becoming a member of LLL really helps so you can go to conferences to get CERPS.

Good luck.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#4 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 PM

Same boat here, so interested in any replies.  I do not know of any non-HCP who has taken the exam since they upped the educational requirements for 2011, and obviously it excludes those like you and me who may have the experience and lactation-specific training but not the college-level health science courses.  In many countries it's pretty much impossible to fulfil the requirements without taking a whole new degree in e.g. nursing, midwifery, medicine.  I was however hoping that online education providers would make a package of courses available to English-speakers, but like you I haven't found all subjects offered in one place.

The IBLCE accepts CLEP and DSST equivalency exams, so if you're in the US these may be options open to you for some subjects (from only a quick look, again it seems that only a few relevant subjects are covered).

Good luck!

#5 of 9 Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 AM

I feel bad that some of the requirements were changed. Sadly, there were some people who weren't qualified somehow getting through, passing the Boards and there were problems with the way they were practicing.

It is difficult for those of us who are Board Certified, too. Every 5 years we either have to take many additional CERPS, which are difficult to find and have become very expensive, or retake the Boards every 5 years if we haven't been able to afford enough CERPS. Even if you have the CERPS and have been practicing for years, you have to re-take the Boards at the least every 10 years. It's expensive and time consuming. Even most physicians don't have to REtake their boards this often, and their Continuing Education Credits are paid for by the hospital or office they work for, for those of us who don't work in hospitals, we're on our own for paying for CERPS and the Boards. I don't understand why it's done this way.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#6 of 9 Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I also don't know of any non-RN that has taken it since the change in requirements. I am an RN but sat for the exam prior to the change. The CERPs another poster mentioned also kicks my butt. I need to average about 25 a year which runs me usually 300 a year out of pocket, that is dirt cheap compared to others options. The expenses add up quickly when the pay scale for IBCLCs is low. I don't have to retake my nursing boards like how I do for my IBCLC! It is my five year next calendar year so I will use my CERPs to renew and honestly at this rate, I do not see myself willing to do this again at 10 years and sit for the boards again. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 9 Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM

That is a goofy system! I bet that drives people off. I (pharmacist) have to submit CE every 3 years but I never have to retake the boards unless either my license lapses for a significant period of time or I want to get licensed in another state, and in that case I only need to take the law boards in that state. And our CE is pretty easy to find. Lots of magazines and websites have it for free. And if board certified we have several options to recertify, 

#8 of 9 Old 05-10-2014, 02:27 AM

I know this is a bit late, but if anyone is still looking for info on how non-HCPs can meet the Health Science requirements, these Facebook groups have some great info and support.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/740576072630200/ With an international focus.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IBCLChealthbackground/ With a UK focus.

They have made me think that it might be doable after all, and inspired me to reconsider working towards certification!

#9 of 9 Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM

I am so glad to find this thread! Ashleyfreeman are you still pursuing this? I am not an RN and have NO desire to go to nursing school but am completely willing to go back to school and get the credits I need toward certification. I live in Nashville, TN and was looking at job openings in this field and they are all in hospitals and require you to be an RNI would consider doing private practice, but would like to be able to make a decent living. Does anyone have any ideas if this could work? TIA for advice and opinions!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page