Milk drying up while pregnant :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am almost 6 weeks along and am afraid my supply had taken a dramatic drop if not dried up almost completely. My 14 month old still nurses on demand and is she ever demanding! Usually 8-10 x a day and 5-6 x a night. Is there any thing I can do to promote a supply or are the hormones in control here? She's not the greatest at eating solids still and this has me worried. Can the supply come back or not until the end of pregnancy? Any advice is welcomed
#2 of 5 Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Hey experience breastfeeding mama, have any advice for this mama?
Bump
#3 of 5 Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

congrats on your pregnancy!

I lost my milk both times before I even got my BFP.  I tried 'more milk too' by motherlove or something.  It is a tincture that you can pick up at whole foods or other natural food store.  It supposedly helps lots of people, but I didn't notice anything.  Make sure you are getting plenty of water and rest and try not to be stressed about it.  My girls both ended up nursing through pregnancy and tandem nursed for a year (and am still nursing DD2 and DS).  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 5 Old 02-03-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I was ccompletely dried up by 3 months. It was heartbreaking, but I got DD to drink whole milk and continue to dry nurse. we night weened (obviously) but that was actually a blessing for everyone. She sleeps better and so do I. We still cosleep, just not nursing. I'm not sure how I'd nurse 2 babies at night anyways when the new one comes. Right before bed we "nurse" and then I slip a bottle of milk to her. I am 3 weeks until I'm due and we did have it down to 2-3 nursings a day but lately she has uped it to more even though I'm still dry. We always nurse for 3-7 minutes and then I continue to hold her with my breast out and give her the bottle of milk. Dont get me wrong, She is very aware that its a bottle everytime.She is 17 months and wouldn't even take a bottle until she was 8 months. I'm excited to give her back the breastmilk she deserves when the new one is born. Good Luck!
#5 of 5 Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My milk was gone somewhere around 16 to 18 weeks into my latest pregnancy. It was heartbreaking, because my son cried for more milk when there was none. I gave him water at night when he was thirsty after nursing and he eventually rejected nursing altogether, saying "NO, milk, Go away!" When I offered after that point, he refused. Now that I have a newborn, he has asked to nurse twice and both times refused when he sees my breast, saying "No, I don't like milk." I hope that dry nursing and tandem nursing work for you. I wish they had worked for us. Other than a sad couple weeks when my milk was gone, we are all fine emotionally and nutritionally. We snuggle and play a lot and he eats cheese and yogurt instead. I'm still a little sad about it, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page