3 week old sleeping through the night!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We started with extreme night/day confusion and I was getting only a couple hours of sleep at night. Then I opened all the blinds and kept lights on during the day and...BAM it's 5 am and I'm checking to make sure he is okay. Is this baby sleeping through the night!?

He was born on the small side, 6 lbs. 7 oz, but he was term and perfectly healthy. By 5 days, he had regained his birth weight and by two weeks old he was gaining an average of 2 oz. per day. We had zero problems establishing breastfeeding and past the first day I have never had to wake him for a feed....he was waking every 1 - 3 hours to eat around the clock. Until the past few days with the change in daytime lighting.

Now he nurses all morning, then goes down for 3 hours, then nurses, then down again for another 3 hours, then he cluster feeds/dozes all late afternoon/evening until we go to bed at about 10pm. Then he sleeps happily all the way until...well, I don't let him sleep past 5am because I get very uncomfortable with milk. I change his diaper and try to coax (yes, coax!) him to take at least one breast, but he really wants to sleep until about 7am. 

DS1 was premature, required extreme measures to establish breastfeeding, and nursed every 1-2 hours around the clock for the first 6 months. He is two now and still nursing....he would nurse all night if I let him (he's strictly night-weaned for that reason). In other words, my first was very high-needs! So this is strange!

I'm worried 1) is this kid okay!? and 2) will my cycles will come back if this keeps up? I loved going a year without it last time!

I'm uncomfortably full at night, so I could re-establish nursing with my toddler who sleeps on the other side of me, but that makes me cringe just thinking of it. He would take full advantage of it and I would never sleep again.

I'm not sure if I should worry or just be grateful? This kid just seems way too young for this and I am more than happy to nurse him several times a night, but he's just not into it. Anybody been there?

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#2 of 3 Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I would'nt worry about it mama. It could totally change in a day.... You know babies:)
#3 of 3 Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Yes, babies do change all the time. My baby has some extended periods of sleep earlier than I expected, but they didn't last. If it were me, I would probably try to feed him during the night at this age. If you are uncomforable, you can hand express just enough to relieve the pressure and go back to sleep. I don't know that your cycles will come back early. It sounds like the babe nurses quite a bit when he is awake. I would imagine it is the amount of stimulation that matters more than the time it occurs.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page