10mo nurses all night, constantly, what am I doing wrong?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is my 2nd nursing experience, having nursed my 4yo until he was 2.5.  We co-sleep and for the first, I nursed him on demand, anytime, anyplace including all night until I finally night-weaned him at 18mo because I simply could not take the every hour nursing any longer!  I naively assumed since my 1st son's temperament is so different that he would not have the same demands...wrong!  He did appear to be heading towards sleeping more but he is waking and demanding/grabbing easily 8-10 times a night.  I feel like I am responsible in some way and I really can't decide what is the right way to proceed at his age... Not sure what I am looking for, similar experiences?  Advice?  Thanks

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#2 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi wookumus! I moved your thread to the Breastfeeding forum where it seems like a better fit.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I read a tip some time ago here on MDC:  If Mom drinks more water during the day baby slept better at night.

I had a nurse-every-hour baby and did not want a repeat with this new baby, so I calculated how much water I should drink during the day, put it in canning jars or water bottles first thing in the morning and made sure I finished by evening.  Within 2 days my little one was sleeping much better.

We're in the midst of teething right now so that is tweaking our nighttime sleep.  But I still notice a big big difference between days when I drink enough water and when I'm dehydrated.

The calculation I used is this:  

take weight in pounds

divide by 2

the answer equals the number of fluid ounces I need to drink each day (caffeine drinks don't count toward water intake)

So, I'm about 120lbs (Don't shoot me, I'm tiny!!)  That means I need to drink 60oz, or just under 2 quarts of water per day.  More if I'm working out or running a fever.

Eating enough food would probably be a good thing too. 

The only other thing I would check is if baby needs to pee.  That will make my babies kick or froggie-hop all over.  Then they wake and want to nurse.

Good luck!

Backroads likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'll try anything at this point, just not quite ready to night-wean altogether

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This has been the case with both of my boys. 10 months is huge for night-wakings with BFed babies, too. I found this study run-down comforting: http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleepstudies/.

http://moregreenforlessgreen.blogspot.com/

Living more eco-friendly for less money

Success after loss and infertility! Joyful mom to two boys (1/11 and 8/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page