How do you know when your fertility is returning while breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-08-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hey mothers! My almost 6-month-old son is EBF, no pacifiers, no bottles, no solids, fed on demand, etc. I have friends that have had their first postpartum period at 8 weeks and some at 16 months (and everything in between.) I noticed a pretty good deal of EWCM the other day and I'm wondering (hoping not!) if it means that I ovulated. I have had a little bit of EWCM and little twinges at a few points since he's been born, but so far no period. (Yay!)

I have some questions:

Can you get EWCM while breastfeeding and it not mean ovulation?

Can you ovulate while breastfeeding and not have a period afterwards?

How will I know when my fertility is back before the period comes?

What was your first postpartum period like? (Mine were hoooooorrible before I got pregnant so I'm hoping that they're milder and not as painful once they do return. 

Did your milk change when your periods came back?

DH and I would like to have our kids close-ish together (like born 2 years apart) but I plan on breastfeeding as long as possible. Has anyone successfully nursed through a pregnancy and then tandem nursed?

Sorry for asking so many questions...you don't have to answer them all. :o)

(BTW, I cross-posted in the Fertility Forum.) 

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 02-08-2014, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Can you get EWCM while breastfeeding and it not mean ovulation?

I think I did. I remember it being the beginning of the return of my cycle, which did not return for maybe 6 months after. 

Can you ovulate while breastfeeding and not have a period afterwards?

Don't know. 

How will I know when my fertility is back before the period comes?

My guess is that, "you can't."  ;-)  

What was your first postpartum period like? (Mine were hoooooorrible before I got pregnant so I'm hoping that they're milder and not as painful once they do return. 

Mine are the same now  but they first 4 or so after return were odd - can't remember exactly how. 

Did your milk change when your periods came back?

Not that I am aware of. 

DH and I would like to have our kids close-ish together (like born 2 years apart) but I plan on breastfeeding as long as possible. Has anyone successfully nursed through a pregnancy and then tandem nursed?

I have not (my kids are 10 years apart and my first was weaned long before TTC) but many, many women I know have. I think there is probably still a lot of false information out there about tandem nursing. I recommend reading up on it so you're prepared if you encounter anyone who is not current on information. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 5 Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

~~Can you get EWCM while breastfeeding and it not mean ovulation?

I think I did, don't remember exactly

Can you ovulate while breastfeeding and not have a period afterwards?  Not sure

How will I know when my fertility is back before the period comes? you won't

What was your first postpartum period like?  Mine also a bit different first little while, shorter or longer than normal, they didn't get completely regular until I stopped BF altogether

Did your milk change when your periods came back? No

Has anyone successfully nursed through a pregnancy and then tandem nursed? I BF for the first 4 months of pregnancy, my milk pretty much dried up, common in pregnancy, and it was extremely painful to feed that last month. My child self weaned at 20 months, I feel due to the fact that my milk was gone. One day he just refused to nurse.

My first child I started getting my period at 6 months of age, even though I exclusively BF. My second and third it was more like 14 or 15 months. I BF for 20 months, 25 months, and 27 months

#4 of 5 Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i only know the answer to you last ? yes you can breastfeed while pregnant did it with my first cause i feel pregnant just 4 months after she was born i nurse both of them till my youngest was almost 3 years old 

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#5 of 5 Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not sure about EWCM. I think it is mostly associated with ovulation. I'm not sure that there are any other circumstances in which you would produce it.

It is more likely that you would have a period without ovulating than ovulate without a period. Just breastfeeding alone won't cause you to ovulate but not menstruate.

I haven't noticed any milk changes with my periods.

My periods are lighter, less painful and less often while breastfeeding. I have gone from a 29-33 day cycle to a 30-40 day cycle.

I breastfed all through my second pregnancy and am still tandem feeding 15 months later. My 3.5yo is down to 1-2 very short feeds/day and occasionally misses a day but that is more to do with my profound feeding aversion than her preference. The almost-15mo still feeds a lot and I have no aversion with her.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page