food allergies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies,

I just had my 4th, my first child was a little sensitive to dairy and soy…..took me YEARS to figure that one out, my 2nd had NO issues at all super easy baby :-)  My third had SO many issues that I basically ate rice potatoes veggies and fruit for 2 years… good news is once I changed her diet she was great and now (5yrs) can eat almost everything.  Now my 4th is only 3 weeks old I started out eating everything not tons of dairy but some.  She has HORRID reflux- hick-ups constantly seems to b n a little pain.  So two weeks ago I stopped all dairy soy wheat and eggs but so far no change… I was hoping not to do another TED to figure out exactly whats bothering her, could this reflux be something else?  How long does it take for wheat and eggs to leave ones system?  Also I think we have thrust-aaragh so young already  :-(  thanks!

kt

#2 of 4 Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Anyone have any advice for this mama? Gosh, I don't have any suggestions.. Sorry
#3 of 4 Old 03-01-2014, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would suggest that you not just eliminate wheat, but all gluten-barley (including barley malt which is in alot of cereals and prepared foods) rye, and oats.

Also corn is a biggy, fish, tree nuts... Looking at your other kids' allergies and sensitivities could give you some insight about what to possibly eliminate too. 

Good Luck!!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#4 of 4 Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi Katy! I realize your post is a few weeks old but wanted to reply as I've been experiencing similar issues. My little one is 4 months old. I noticed GI distress and green mucosy stool at ~2-3 weeks old. I eliminated dairy and soy at that time and he significantly improved, though the green stool continued, eventually with noticeable blood. I then eliminated all beans, eggs, peanuts/tree nuts, fish (I was lacto-ovo vegetarian but did take a fish oil supplement during pregnancy and had planned to continue with BF), corn, citrus fruits and all gluten. After 4 weeks I saw no real changes. It was not until eliminated nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant) that I saw a real difference. And that took another 3 weeks. But it was an amazing complete change! No blood and normal stool. I have since added back citrus and eggs, without a problem. I tried organic (non GMO) corn, beans and tree nuts, didn't work. And the baby got some frozen breastmilk a few weeks ago, from when I was still eating nightshade veggies, blood the next day! So I am now vegetarian, gluten free, soy free, dairy free, peanut/tree nut free, corn free, bean free, nightshade free - so lots of food restrictions - but it seems to be working. Baby is healthy and happy and growing like a weed!! I definitely eat differently now, very focused on nutrition density.  I will say eliminating all those items was much harder than I expected, even my prenatal vitamin and probiotic had some 'offending' ingredients as did nearly all of the few processed foods I ate. Be sure to check EVERYTHING for hidden sources of soy, dairy, corn and gluten. Food manufacturers are sneaky.

And in response to your specific question, I believe it takes at least 2-4 weeks for the wheat and eggs to leave your system and baby's, 1-2 weeks for each. My situation was further complicated by pumping milk that was fed to baby while I was working, so a day-3 days later. It made eliminating items and adding items tricky. I'd suspect food sensitivity but hope you've talked with your peds provider about other possibilities. Good luck, mama!! fingersx.gif

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page