Vitamin D Supplements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-12-2014, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you give your breast fed infant a Vit D supplement? Why or why not? If you do, what brand do you like?

I was surprised last night to see so many "mainstream" baby sites recommending a Vit D supplement daily for breast fed babies. My LC never mentioned this, nor did my midwife or pediatrician. I'm a little peeved and wondering what others do... My baby is 4 months old and I'm worried now that he's been missing out on something important.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#2 of 4 Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My pediatrician recommended this so we bought some drops. They are for kids. They are the brand name of the store where I got them so it's a generic labelled for them. It only takes one drop. I give the baby some when I remember which is not very often. We live in California so he does get sun quite often. It seems rather controversial as to whether babies actually need this. I thinkg the Kellymom website has some more info about it. Some people say they get plenty from breastmilk, but some people say it doesn't come through enough even if the mom takes lots of it. You shouldn't take too much of it because it's fat soluble.

I heard about a study recently that said that taking vitamin D supplements does not provide a health benefit for adults. I think they were saying it works better to get it through natural sources. Everyone kind of jumped on a Vitamin D bandwagon for a while. My Dr. recommended I take one a few years ago after learning that many adults are deficient.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 4 Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I live in cold, snowy, very overcast (read NO SUN through the winter) Central NY. I supplement with Vitamin D myself, as my levels were ridiculously low and I was symptomatic (fatigue, mild depressive symptoms, low energy, etc.). It has made a huge difference for me! I also do supplement DS, though like Pokey, I often forget so it is not truly daily. I use these http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Ddrops%C2%AE-400-IU-drops/dp/B003CT36NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392302131&sr=8-1&keywords=vitamin+d+baby+drops which you place on your nipple or in a bottle of expressed milk (one drop, once a day). These have only Vitamin D in Coconut Oil, no preservatives, flavorings or fillers. My understanding is that the D supplement recommendations are for EBF infants living in Northern climates where lack of sun exposure, especially during the winter months, and/or if you and/or baby are very dark skinned (which can reduce D absorption) has led to Vit D deficiency (ie Rickets). Your skin is designed to absorb Vitamin D from sunlight, we are not meant to take an oral supplement and absorb Vit D through our GI system. Sunlight is definitely the preferred source but I would need to be outside with baby for 15-20 min per day (fully clothed) to receive adequate sunlight to generate the D levels he needs. Nearly naked in a diaper is not even an option! Even fully clothed is just not possible with our sub zero temps this time of year and that is why opted to supplement. This is the Kellymom link: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d/

Sphinxy likes this.

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#4 of 4 Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sparkle, I was just going to link that smile.gif

I take vit d every few days in the winter, liquid form. I don't give it to ds. I don't want to give it to him, then what if he already has enough and then it's too much. Course we live in the south so get our sun in. I like how the sun breakdown is on kellymom. If someone has a cold, everyone takes d daily till gone, except baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page