Drank a few energy drinks and now I'm feeling so guilty. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please don't judge me because I already feel awful. Here is what happened. During my pregnancy I could not tolerate coffee. Even the smell made me sick. So probably around my 3rd trimester, feeling the exhaustion of pregnancy, I looked into the caffeine content in monster energy drinks. I found out that it was less than my typical cup of coffee (which I was told by dr was fine to have even a couple a day while pregnant) so I assumed that was that. I drank one maybe every few days or so in my third trimester and didn't think much of it after that. After my baby was born I resumed my coffee drinking because it no longer made me sick. My baby is now 13 months old and about a month and a half ago I found out I was pregnant again. Once again the coffee began to make me sick so I started the monsters again. I shared one with my husband maybe 3 or 4 times (total. NOT 3 or 4 in a day) At my 8 week prenatal appt. we found out that the baby had no heartbeat and follow up blood work and ultrasounds confirmed a missed miscarriage. I feel awful guilt thinking that the ginseng could have caused this! I also am feeling terrible that it may have affected my daughter in some way that just isn't apparent yet from drinking them during my pregnancy and also while breastfeeding. How possible do you think it is that this caused my miscarriage? Also, would it be obvious if it had affected my daughter through my breast milk or could it have done some unseen damage? What kinds of effects can it have on a nursling? I feel sooooo bad!:(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that just today I was doing more research on energy drinks and breast feeding and found out that it is mainly the ginseng that is a problem. Not so much the caffeine. So I wasn't even concerned with the right ingredient.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm so sorry for your loss. Regarding the energy drinks, I don't think there is any solid evidence that they cause miscarriage. We've all ingested things even before we knew we were pregnant that may be harmful. Think of how many babies are born to mothers who drank alcohol in excess before they knew of their pregnancy, and by some miracle most turn out fine. If it worries you, you might want to stop the energy drinks when TTC, but please try not to dwell on it. MC is hard enough without the self blame and the "what ifs." I know, I've been there.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for. It really helps to hear that. This pregnancy was completely unplanned but next time my husband and I are trying to conceive I will cut out the energy drinks. What do you think about the energy drinks while breastfeeding? Have you heard of the effects of panax ginseng(found in most energy drinks)?...I have had several energy drinks that contain this ingredient (never more than one a day) while bfing my daughter before I found out I was pregnant and she has never acted strange at all after I have one and nurse her. I am just scared that I will find out down the road that it has caused some sort of damage that is unseen as of yet.

User Tag List