Do you think my milk will dry up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Both my kids still nurse. Usually once or twice in the day and always to sleep and for an hour or so while waking up. They are 2.5 and 4. I night weaned the youngest recently (the older also night weaned at age 2.5). I have always had lots of milk but don't ever get engorged even when they don't nurse all day.

I am separated. The older already does every other Saturday night sleep overs with her dad. The younger will be starting the same in a few months. Then in September they will both be sleeping over both nights every other weekend. So they won't nurse from Friday morning to Sunday evening.

I gave my pump away ages ago; but I have never been that great with a pump. Given their ages I am not sure how motivated I am to keep up supply but I am thinking about it. Sometimes I think the message from the world is that it is time to let it go. But then I think of how much they both love it. I would like them to remember breastfeeding. I think the older would remember but the younger might not if I stop soon.

Do you think being away from them for 2.5 days twice a month will be enough to dry up my milk?

I have the option for pushing two overnights for the youngest until later. Nothing is signed yet. I am wondering if I should do that. If I did the younger would only be away Saturday morning to Sunday evening. That seems like a more manageable amount of time to be separated.

I would love some opinions. I need them fast as this could be settled next week and not able to be changed.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Well, it's not unusual for moms who have nursed for a number of years straight to continue producing a bit of milk for a few years after their kids have weaned, so I think there's a decent chance that you'll keep keep a supply to one degree or another.  Everybody's different, but I suspect that personalities will play a slightly bigger roll than milk supply in determining when your kids wean.

#3 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that. They are both crazy in love with breastfeeding. The younger today was looking at a sculpture of a mermaid with huge bests and nipples. I jokingly asked him if he thought she would have lots of milk and he attempted to nurse on her!
rachelsmama likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 02-23-2014, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I never tandem nursed, but my milk would definitely not have dried up when nursing a 2.5 yo, if they had been away for a night or two.
My dk both weaned at 4 with very little help from my part, so based on my experience, I would not worry too much about a 4 yo weaning. At that age, they are close go self-weaning whether they are away from you or not.
When my kids were that age, I just expressed by hand when I was away from them for longer periods of time, in order to avoid engorgement and mastitis.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#5 of 5 Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I agree about the 4 year old. Her latch is already getting bad and I have to ask her to take breaks. She often falls asleep on a break. Yahhhh!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page