Best pump for keeping up supply - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to be nursing on only one side this time due to breast surgery I had last year. I want to make sure that I keep up the supply on my good side. With my son, I used a manual Avent to try to pump and never had much success with it. It wasn't a big deal since I always nursed on demand anyway.

I think I would like an electric one this time and it seems silly to get a double one since I only need one side! Trying to decide if it would be better to rent a hospital grade one for a while or purchase one.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#2 of 7 Old 02-24-2014, 01:18 PM

I really like my hygeia enjoye. Although honestly, my manual evenflo (this one here: https://www.google.com/search?q=manual+breast+pump+evenflo&rlz=1RMGOYI_enUS576US576&hl=en-US&espvd=1&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sboxchip=Shopping&sa=X&ei=2LYLU7qfNYin0AX-2ICAAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=320&bih=504#spd=6703925906772501062) was AMAZING and I could easily pump 4-6 ounces from one side in a matter of 5 minutes or less.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#3 of 7 Old 02-24-2014, 01:18 PM

Hmm, that link didn't quite work. It's the first result (for $17.99).

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#4 of 7 Old 02-24-2014, 01:19 PM

I tried a more expensive manual Avent pump thinking if my cheapie was that good, a more expensive one would be even better. It was useless. I think I got an ounce one time. After like ten minutes.

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 7 Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 PM

I think the medela swing would be a good choice. if your going to try to pump a lot it would be nice to have an electric, possibly hands free option and you don't need a double. If you want to go hand pump I think medela harmony is easy to use and if you may need different sized flanges they have that. I used the avent manual (don't recall which) 6 yrs ago with my son and it was easy and effective as well. Make sure you explore insurance coverage before you buy!
#6 of 7 Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 AM

There is a good chance that you will be able to nurse with one breast and have enough milk without pumping. Think about how women can nurse twins or siblings. You may need to pump or express the breast that had surgery for awhile after birth to prevent engorgement.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#7 of 7 Old 02-25-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up going with the Ameda Purely Yours. I talked with a lactation consultant and since I want to try to keep up supply on that side if baby isn't nursing well, we thought an electric pump would be best. And one that is meant to be used more than a couple times a week.

Forever, I can't pump on the other side at all after speaking with the surgeon who did my surgery so during engorgement, I'm going to just have to power through greensad.gif

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page