Silly things you've been told about breastfeeding? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 76Likes
#31 of 127 Old 03-07-2014, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"You're spoilin' him rotten!" <by allowing my baby to nurse whenever he's hungry.  So bizarre to me! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 127 Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post

Lady: "Look at the baby, she is so nice and chunky! She must be a GOOD eater!"
Me: "Oh, she's only five months and she hasn't started solids yet. But yes, she sure does breastfeed a lot!"
Lady: "You mean she doesn't gat any food or formula bottles?"
Me: "None."
Lady: "Well, that's why she's so chunky! She's so hungry! You need to start feeding her food right now or she's going to starve."
Me: ????????

My MIL said something similar to this too. She would ALWAYS ask me if my daughter is "nursing less yet." At 6 weeks she said I needed to start giving her rice cereal because she's not getting enough and that she's starving that's why she's not STTN. Meanwhile I am engorged all the time still and DD is choking because my letdown is so fast. Yup, definitely not getting enough. 

Also, not said to me but when my SIL was holding my fussy niece (not her kid, other SIL's kid) she said "Nobody likes a snacker. We need to wait till you are really hungry to give you back to mama." I was thinking :NOOOO!! She's a flipping NEWBORN and other SIL always worried that her milk production was low with her first kid: 

That's another thing that baffles me. Only let them on your boob when they are really hungry. No using mama as a binkie or comfort nursing. That's how our bodies produce milk!! 

#33 of 127 Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evmadi View Post

Many people have said to me "if they are old enough to ask for it they are too old to be getting it". She is not yet two. I say " she has always asked for it, she just didn't use words.

Yes this. Congratulations on your language skills. Sorry baby no more nursing for you. What???
#34 of 127 Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

"If you're doing it right, it won't hurt." BULL! I'm not about to get into detail about nursing up to 18 times a day and spending 3 hours a day on the pump for my daughter's first 3 months of life. I was doing everything right, and it hurt like heck those first three months. Bloody nipples and bruised breasts, a little milk vampire, and spending every free moment feeling like a dairy cow... yeah.

"If you're doing it right, it's as effective as birth control in the first 6 months." HAHAHAAHAAAAA! I started my period before my 6 week check-up. (So did my mom, with all of her pregnancies). Generally, if you've got a cycle, you're probably ovulating, and therefore fertile. I am living proof that this is absolutely a myth-- I was conceived while my mother was breastfeeding my older sibling.

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif
#35 of 127 Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 AM

Let's not forget, "You have to give her a bottle sometimes, or else she won't bond with her father." LOL wut? She's bonded just fine with all the people who love her! K? thanks!

I'm still occasionally nursing her, and she's 3yo! I could type up three pages of the ignorant stuff people have said about that. "You need to wean her before she's old enough to remember it, or she'll develop boob issues." I'm not exactly sure what "boob issues" are, but I love breasts as much as your average heterosexual male, and I was weaned right around 12 months. I've heard the "boob issues" comment at least half a dozen times.

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif
#36 of 127 Old 03-07-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemieprincess View Post

Let's not forget, "You have to give her a bottle sometimes, or else she won't bond with her father." LOL wut? She's bonded just fine with all the people who love her! K? thanks!

Yes, that too. I'm like "well, he didn't get to carry baby in his belly for 9 months either."

#37 of 127 Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLplus1 View Post

Yes, that too. I'm like "well, he didn't get to carry baby in his belly for 9 months either."

If only! Why can't we be sea horses 

#38 of 127 Old 03-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Oh these made me laugh so hard! I was the only person at my work to nurse, out of 3 mommas who had babies around when I did. I got so many strange looks and awkward questions from people. I don't judge mommas who don't want to nurse, my daughter had colic and issues, I felt like giving up every day. DH would tell me to just feed her formula, honestly I think it was only my stubbornness that kept me going.
#39 of 127 Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
These are funny, okay I have one.
How much longer are you going to nurse him? You don't want to be nursing a six month old baby. That's a big baby to be nursing. That was said to me when he was four months old. If she only knew, he is still nursing. For this I am grateful (he is four years now).
#40 of 127 Old 03-10-2014, 01:57 PM

When my daughter was 5 days old I couldn't get her to stop crying, and my MIL told me that mt milk must have gone bad.  ???! 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#41 of 127 Old 03-10-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My 6 year old tells me "rotten milk" when the baby spits up.
#42 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
This is the best thread. It is keeping me laughing these days!!
#43 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 04:47 PM

I have 6 children and nursed each for three years so I've had a bit of experience and have heard things about nursing through three decades.  I've heard most of the ones posted but here are a few more:

You need to eat/drink white things to make milk.

Eating tomatoes will poison your milk.

You need to drink beer to make your milk come in.

If you nurse, the weight you gained while you were pregnant will become permanent and you will never be able to lose it.

Nursing your son too long will make him gay.

After giving birth to a 10 lb. baby -  doctor says "He will starve if you only BF him."  Same doctor 2 weeks later after a 2 pound weight gain "You are overfeeding him.  You must be forcing him to nurse."  Did he think I was supergluing him to my breast?

A nurse said as I sat in the hospital bed nursing my 2 1/2 year old on one side and my newborn on the other, "You can't do that!"

Well, obviously, I am doing it.  lol

It's been an adventure but I don't regret a single second of it.

#44 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

"Go to sleep in your nursing bra, with a cabbage leaf spread out in each cup.  When you wake up, you'll no longer be engorged and in pain."

Silly as it sounded, it was TRUE.  (And you know I was miserable, to have tried something that I thought sounded so ridiculous.)

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#45 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM

I've heard some doozies over the years.

From a postpartum nurse with DS2 (my first BF child) : "squirt some formula on your nipples so he'll smell the food and know what to do."

From a lady at the WIC office: "He NEEDS milk", when I told her DS2 was allergic to milk and was still breastfeeding and therefore did not require any other kind of milk besides human milk, she said, "I've never heard that before!"

From our old "doctor" (read:idiot): "You need to stop feeding him (DS3) so much!"  He was an exclusively breastfed 5 month old baby who was fed on demand...but he was "too big".

I'm sure I have more but that's all my preggo brain will allow me to remember right now.

#46 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 PM

My daughter was born 6 weeks early and spend some time in the ICN. When a nurse there found out that I was also nursing my 18 month old son (who was over the moon with how much milk there was all of a sudden!) she said "You have to be very careful that he doesn't drink all the milk and there's none left for the baby!" I just looked at her. She paused for a minute and to her credit said "Oh, it doesn't really work that way, does it? Nevermind."

Jennifer

#47 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 06:43 PM

~Don't eat pizza, the baby will have an allergic reaction (????)

~I will have to wash my nipples with anti-bacterial soap

And, not quite on breastfeeding, but...

My mom assumed I would take after the women in her family and have small breasts.  Wound up going quite large like my dad's female relatives.  So, for much of my teen years, my mom kept talking about how ridiculously huge I would be once I started breastfeeding future babies.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#48 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemieprincess View Post

"If you're doing it right, it won't hurt." BULL! I'm not about to get into detail about nursing up to 18 times a day and spending 3 hours a day on the pump for my daughter's first 3 months of life. I was doing everything right, and it hurt like heck those first three months. Bloody nipples and bruised breasts, a little milk vampire, and spending every free moment feeling like a dairy cow... yeah.

"If you're doing it right, it's as effective as birth control in the first 6 months." HAHAHAAHAAAAA! I started my period before my 6 week check-up. (So did my mom, with all of her pregnancies). Generally, if you've got a cycle, you're probably ovulating, and therefore fertile. I am living proof that this is absolutely a myth-- I was conceived while my mother was breastfeeding my older sibling.

Comment on both of these:

I heard the "it won't hurt" too.  And, for me, I did exactly what the lactation consultant and the blog instructions said to, and sure enough, it didn't hurt.

I was the ONLY person of all the other new mommies I knew where it didn't hurt.  I eventually decided it was more of me being a freak than "doing it right."

On the second one...

Friend bought into the nursing=birth control thing and now has Irish twins.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#49 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post

I would love to know the little rumors and tales you've been told about breastfeeding! I want a list of the silly things someone told you, with their good intentions I am sure, about breastfeeding. A good laugh might get me out of these winter doldrums.
my son had bad jondice about a week after birth and had to be admitted to the hospital for light therapy, they wanted to supliment with formula I am very pro bf and asked if I could get donor milk to supliment, the attending infant dr. Said that there was no way I could do that a womans milk is only for her child. So sad that someone that educated could be so uneducated
#50 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM

From a psychiatrist... It's better for a mom who is taking medication not to breastfeed in case there is something wrong with the child later and she will feel guilty for causing it.

Seems even crazier when I write it out.

#51 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mother wanted to know if I was going to have my milk tested before I gave it to the baby to make sure it was ok.
#52 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 PM

haha! my aunt told me this same thing. I was a little disturbed. Didn't stop me from breastfeeding dd til she was 3!

#53 of 127 Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 PM

I live in the UAE--remember that country that passed the law where you HAVE to breastfeed for two years? So I was nursing dd (3 mths old) at a cafè and an American woman came up to me to say I should be careful about NIP because they'd put me in jail in this country???!!!

Also, a friend of mine said she had only bf one month because nursimg made her so hot that she felt her hot milk would hurt the baby's tummy. And her doctor agreed.

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#54 of 127 Old 03-12-2014, 03:28 AM

In reference to the post saying her midwife had to stop BFing due to her baby biting: Why assume she did something wrong. Let's not shame people who are unable to bf. Sometimes BFing hurts like hell. 

#55 of 127 Old 03-12-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
When DD was a few months old, FIL asked when I was going to stop BFing and switch to formula. Not in a nasty way; more like an honest question.

I looked at DH for help and he replied, "Hopefully, never!"

FIL's response was something like "I'm not used to these new ways of doing things."

Right...because BFing is this new invention that all the cool kids are doing these days. ;-)

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#56 of 127 Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 AM

A friend told me I would have to get rid of my cats because they would attack me for my milk. I couldn't stop laughing. I have to admit though that in my postpartum haze I did look sideways at the cats a few times.

This one wasn't funny at the time but in retrospect was hilarious. I brought my 2 1/2 year old who was still nursing to the E.R. for dehydration from severe nausea and diarrhea.  When I explained to the physicians that she was still nursing and that breastmilk was the only thing she could keep down they went in another room to discuss and came back to tell me that they were really concerned as she should really be on solid food by now!

#57 of 127 Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
A friend told me I would have to get rid of my cats because they would attack me for my milk. I couldn't stop laughing. I have to admit though that in my postpartum haze I did look sideways at the cats a few times.

That is pretty funny. I have actually hand pumped for a kitten and not even he showed the least bit interest in my breasts.

#58 of 127 Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

That is pretty funny. I have actually hand pumped for a kitten and not even he showed the least bit interest in my breasts.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine, but the image of it was hilarious in my mind. I love that you pumped for a kitten, probably better than the commercial kitten formula out there.

#59 of 127 Old 03-12-2014, 10:51 AM

I love these!  I had to join the site just to contribute to this thread.

My grandma was told by her doctor not to even try to breastfeed because she was a redhead and redheads can't nurse.

This same grandma asks me every time I see her if my son is "just nursing" or if I have started him on "real food" yet.  He is 2 months old... and the first time she asked me, he was 2 weeks old.

This isn't bad or weird, but I thought it was funny... my 11 year old and 8 year old sons were making a list of their baby brother's favorite things... milk, Mama, his Boppy pillow... when my 11 year old, says, "Hey!  We forgot his very favorite thing... boobies!"  I love that my older boys are so comfortable with breastfeeding, even though I am the only person they've ever known to do it.

#60 of 127 Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Welcome to MDC ertanoel!
Thats so adorable about your sons!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif

User Tag List