Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyFolsom View Post

This reminds me of what our pediatrician said. She said that after 6 months there's no need to eat at night. I basically told her I don't need her bad parenting advice.

Heck, I still need to eat at night.  No wonder my 11 month old son does too!  I don't why people think all babies can go that long without eating.  Not all Moms can . . . 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post

Lady: "Look at the baby, she is so nice and chunky! She must be a GOOD eater!"
Me: "Oh, she's only five months and she hasn't started solids yet. But yes, she sure does breastfeed a lot!"
Lady: "You mean she doesn't gat any food or formula bottles?"
Me: "None."
Lady: "Well, that's why she's so chunky! She's so hungry! You need to start feeding her food right now or she's going to starve."
Me: ????????

OMG!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I did have a cat that thought he was a lactation consultant. Really trying to get all up in there between me and baby. I put that cat out many-a-times. Lol.

I have a picture of me wearing baby with cat on my lap, me sitting on toilet. No wonder I was going nuts.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

By a lactation consultant when my son was a few weeks old "You have to get your supply up because it's set at 6 weeks because that's when your supply is fixed and that's all the milk you're ever going to make"

It's a gland people! Which is like saying you had better sweat buckets when you're a baby or you'll never learn to sweat.

Nursing my 18-month old son exclusively for several days through a nasty stomach virus I can attest to how much my body was able to produce.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

I have a picture of me wearing baby with cat on my lap, me sitting on toilet. No wonder I was going nuts.

Love this!!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 PM

"He's as big as you, he will suck you dry" from an older co worker about DS.

"You shouldn't let him pacify at the breast" from the hospital lactation consultant about my 2 day old.

"Don't you want to pump so that her brother can give her a bottle?" From my very supportive MIL. ?! What?! DS was not quite 3 when DD was born.

"Well I guess she'll just wean early" from my mother regarding my daughter's love of rabbit food. And I'm still not sure what "early" means to her. DD is 12 months, DS was 27 months when he weaned and my 3yo nephew is still nursing.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlemamma View Post

My mother wanted to know if I was going to have my milk tested before I gave it to the baby to make sure it was ok.

A relative is always telling me stories about the women she knows who couldn't breastfeed. interesting since she never tried and I've been bf for over 3 years....(tangent) the best story was "a friend if mine had her milk tested and they told her it had no vitamins so she needed to switch to formula or the baby would starve. . is that even a thing?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:19 AM

I thought test for diseases ...maybe. But test for vitamins? give me a break.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My GMIL had that happen...she said the Doc looked at her (expressed?) milk and said it wasn't good enough. greensad.gif I'm guessing it was thin foremilk. I wanted to tell her the Doc was wrong but she looked like she was trying not to cry when she told me and I couldn't decide if it would make her feel better or worse, KWIM?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 AM

Poor thing. My SO's grandmother looked so sad too when she said she couldn't bf because "she didn't drink milk". I just don't argue/debate, even inform the over 80 crowd. Only want to make her feel better about her life. As it is an awesome one.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 AM

Both my grandma and dh's grandma expressed regret about not being able to bf their babies. They each had 5! When they were having babies, the nurses would come in after the birth and tightly bind the mom's chest. Crazy, huh? Dh's grandma tried to nurse anyway, but could never get up a full supply, and had less than zero support from people around her.

I love her and dh's grandpa. They were/are always making comments about how "its just right to hold them all the time like that." Or, "good for you for nursing so long. I was so disappointed I couldn't. It just seems.like that's what you ought to do.".
Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherFamily View Post

Both my grandma and dh's grandma expressed regret about not being able to bf their babies. They each had 5! When they were having babies, the nurses would come in after the birth and tightly bind the mom's chest. Crazy, huh? Dh's grandma tried to nurse anyway, but could never get up a full supply, and had less than zero support from people around her.

I love her and dh's grandpa. They were/are always making comments about how "its just right to hold them all the time like that." Or, "good for you for nursing so long. I was so disappointed I couldn't. It just seems.like that's what you ought to do.".
I don't know the age of your grandmas but bothy Granada didn't nurse either, formula was relatively new and people just didn't se to bf back then! I don't even think they thoughtuvh about it.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My mom told me she was given milk with honey as a baby!!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
My older bro was born in the 70s and my mom BF him. He got up to 20 pounds by 4 months so the Dr had my mom wean him and put him on SKIM milk! Just nuts!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
"a friend if mine had her milk tested and they told her it had no vitamins so she needed to switch to formula or the baby would starve. . is that even a thing?

They can test it for nutritional content though I have never heard of anyone actually doing that other than for research purposes. I wonder why they went to the trouble of testing and then didn't bother to tell her how to improve her diet instead of switching to formula?

Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherFamily View Post

Aw that's nice to hear; they sound so sweet. I think there was a "nice things people say" thread awhile back, I'll see if I can find it.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

My GMIL had that happen...she said the Doc looked at her (expressed?) milk and said it wasn't good enough. greensad.gif I'm guessing it was thin foremilk. I wanted to tell her the Doc was wrong but she looked like she was trying not to cry when she told me and I couldn't decide if it would make her feel better or worse, KWIM?

Based on my mom's stories about nursing me, I don't think I really did self-wean at 6 months. I think I was distracted like 6-month-olds are, and she was fed up with me being on and off the boob, so she'd give a bottle, and that killed her supply, and then I was less interested, lather rinse repeat. But I haven't pointed that out to her because I don't see any point. It's not like she can go back and do it over. 

Old 03-13-2014, 01:45 PM

Yeah, it's a moot point now, for sure! I feel awful for her though, she had at least nine losses (my MIL is her only living child) and all her life wanted a huge family. Being told her milk was "defective" on top of that must have been horrible.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:14 AM

My granny tried to bf when my dad was born. Nurses told her "it's just water, you need to switch to bottles."

Fifties, Poland.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My GMIL also said that she had to start giving her son rice cereal at 2 weeks old because he was so big and my other GMIL said the doctors always told her to bf for a year but to put them on a schedule right away.

I wanted to add that I also expressed milk for rural outdoor cats that came around to our house occasionally. Our first child was stillborn and I asked my doctor about donating my milk (cuz I had so freaking much!!) and she basically told me that she didnt think it was a good idea for me, for whatever reason. Anyway, I had to pump because I was so engorged for quite a while

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 PM

(sorry, stupid phone issues) I think we started out putting it outside the back door for one sickly little cat and ended up having 3 or 4 that heard the rumors of fresh milk at the back door at one point. lol! It was like the one little thing we could find humorous at such a sad time in our lives.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 AM

My grandmother was told to give my aunt rice cereal at something like 2 weeks too. My aunt was premature and my grandmother responded "She's not even supposed to BE here yet!"

Old 03-16-2014, 11:40 AM

Wow, cereal to baby whose adjusted age would basically be 0 months! Good for your grandma.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Yeah, I think that was the same doctor who gave her rather brilliant counsel earlier in her pregnancy, when she was throwing up all the time and losing weight. My grandmother asked if she should be taking vitamins and the doc replied that she didn't need them because she'd get all the vitamins she needed from her food. To which she responded "WHAT food?" At least I hope this was the same doc both times, because I hate to think she saw two different docs who were both that stupid. 

Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Lol

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 03-16-2014, 03:33 PM

I saw my grandma yesterday. I was nursing my son and she asked if there were things I couldn't have. I told her I couldn't have milk anymore because it makes him constipated, she said that's why they put Karo syrup in baby's bottle. I wasn't surprised since it wasn't the first time I heard that, she probably knows they don't do that anymore since she babysat me and my sister. She had her babies between 1953-1963 so I'm guessing she didn't breastfeed at all, she's a really small lady so they probably told her she couldn't or something.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 AM

Went to my GP for a checkup and had her look at this inflamed banana that is in my boob. Literally feels like a banana, red, hot and sore. All she did was give me some antibiotics and said: "Well, as you know, there are all kinds of problems you can have when you breastfeed..."

VERY encouraging. No wonder we have the lowest rate in the world here.

Ask my LC friend and she recommended dangle nursing. Banana is mush now and the antibiotics are still in the drawer, untouched.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My daughter's first birthday is today, and that's when the n.p. and all other sources said we could start introducing cow's milk, which I'm for.

The other night, my mom says "Make sure you buy her whole milk because it has more fat than your milk."

Yes, because I lactate 1%.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
Old 03-17-2014, 02:13 PM

lol!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EineMutti View Post

Went to my GP for a checkup and had her look at this inflamed banana that is in my boob. Literally feels like a banana, red, hot and sore. All she did was give me some antibiotics and said: "Well, as you know, there are all kinds of problems you can have when you breastfeed..."

VERY encouraging. No wonder we have the lowest rate in the world here.

Ask my LC friend and she recommended dangle nursing. Banana is mush now and the antibiotics are still in the drawer, untouched.

What's dangle nursing?

User Tag List