Baby seems to be weaning quick - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first baby was into food but not like this baby!! He is 9 months old. He has always been on damand nursing. I nurse him about an hour before offering solids. When we are at the table he eats like a mad man! Eventually I cut him off and he usually is pretty ticked about it. I was and am hoping to nurse till two but between the solids and being distracto baby I don't think he will want to nurse that long.

Anyone else have a nursling like this?!
#2 of 7 Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I don't have any experience but it is possible that he does not need the security that your first child did. It's probably because you are doing awesome and he is blessed for having a sibling. And you are a good cook! I'm blabbering. Hugs, try not to have too any expectations. It will be easier on him and you.
#3 of 7 Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

I don't have any experience but it is possible that he does not need the security that your first child did. It's probably because you are doing awesome and he is blessed for having a sibling. And you are a good cook! I'm blabbering. Hugs, try not to have too any expectations. It will be easier on him and you.

That is pretty good advice, I guess I need to put my goals of nursing aside, as long as he is happy and healthy.

Yes my first was a high needs baby! She mostly needed to nurse all the time. Which is probably why this is so strange to me:)
#4 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 AM

My little guy (now 11 months), LOVES food and started eating a lot earlier than his older siblings, but it doesn't take the place of nursing.  He still nurses a ton, especially at night.  I think he needs to catch up on calories at night, since he's so busy now during the day!  :)

Hopefully your little one will continue to nurse as he enjoys his solid food!

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#5 of 7 Old 03-17-2014, 01:02 PM

My firstborn weaned himself rather early.  He loved solids and went through several nursing strikes after 9 months.  Finally around 12 months, he was DONE.  I think my second kid is gonna be the one that is gonna be my nursing toddler.

#6 of 7 Old 03-19-2014, 04:36 AM

Also, just wanted to point out that a lot of babies get distracted at this age, moving around, solids, etc.  If you don't want your little one to wean just yet, I'd encourage more night/nap feedings, and offer more in general.  My kids all nursed until right around their fourth birthday, and I truly believe that it helped SO much with immunities!  I, personally, would be uncomfortable with such a small child weaning that early.  

Good luck!  :)

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#7 of 7 Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer View Post

Also, just wanted to point out that a lot of babies get distracted at this age, moving around, solids, etc.  If you don't want your little one to wean just yet, I'd encourage more night/nap feedings, and offer more in general.  My kids all nursed until right around their fourth birthday, and I truly believe that it helped SO much with immunities!  I, personally, would be uncomfortable with such a small child weaning that early.  

Good luck!  smile.gif

Yeah he nurses a bunch at night, probably because we co sleep. He is very distracted! I have to nurse him in the same chair only other wise it's too much for him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page