Breastfeeding and weight gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has been exclusively breastfed and just turned 4 months old. I noticed a week ago that maybe he hadn't grown much since his last doctors appointment, so I weighed him. It was disappointing. He weighed 12 pounds and has only gained 1 pound in two months. He was 8 pounds 8 oz at birth if that is useful.

His next appointment is next week and I'm really worried. I feel like I've somehow neglected him. Or I'm a bad mom for not noticing he hasn't gained much. I see other chunky breastfed babies and get sad.

I'm worried what the doctor will tell me to do. I don't think she will tell me to give formula considering cows milk in my diet makes him have blood in his poo (perhaps straining from constipation is what doctor thinks). He has also never had a bottle and I don't know if he would take one.

I've come up with two factors on my own that might be causing it. 

1. I dropped below my prepregnancy weight and am now "underweight". I eat healthy, but perhaps not enough calories. I did not know I was losing too much weight, we don't weigh ourselves much if you haven't picked up on that. I'm thinking this effects the quality of my milk. However, I think the quantity of my milk is fine, I even pump a little for the freezer every day. I have since been working on eating more. Not being able to have dairy makes it harder for me.

2. This might or might not be related, but we're having some napping issues and he is often fussy and tired all day. He may eventually fall asleep while nursing, but I still think he's eating long enough. What tends to happen is I nurse on one side for quite a while and he falls asleep, offering the other side whenever he's ready to nurse again. I don't think he's getting too much initial watery milk and not enough fatty milk, I'm thinking I would see evidence of that in his poop too.

*I feed on demand, and he still nurses at night even though he's sleeping up to 5 hours at once.

*I've counted diapers for 24 hours and I changed 10 wet diapers and four of those had poo.

Any input or advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 PM

My son did have a bigger gain between 2 and four months but it was still on the lower end. I somehow can't think of the actual numbers even though it just happened mommy brain. But then he had a big gain right after his appointment with s growth spurt so maybe your lo just hasn't hit the growth spurt yet. And the difference between scales could also be abig part of it.they could easily be different by a pound or more.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 PM

I also wanted to say i get it I was jealous of the chunky babies as well but since that growth spurt I started to get comments about my son being s chunk which made me incredibly happy.You are a good mom you changed your diet to help him out and are looking into ways to help him now. Don't be hard on yourself.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, that makes me feel better. I know all babies are different, I just can't help thinking I'm doing something wrong.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 AM

How did the appointment go?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for remembering and asking!

The appointment didn't go so good :( He fell off the growth chart and is now in the "failure to thrive" category. The doctor asked me to keep a log of what time I feed him, and how long he eats. She even wants me to pump and bottle feed for a day so we can get how much he actually eats, but I'm taking that one with a grain of salt. Pumps don't empty as well as a baby, so pumping for a day could interfere with my supply (not something I am going to risk right now), and I'm paranoid after a day of bottles he will prefer them over me (also not willing to risk that). So I'm going to alternate. I did warn her he never had a bottle and idk if I'll be able to get him to, she was ok with just trying. She also ordered lab work, which of course everything was normal. He has to go back in a couple weeks so we can check on him again.

The guy who did the blood work was like "failure to thrive? He looks just like my 6 month old...my baby only weighs a pound more, he's older of course." He made it sound like this is a common thing with doctors and he get's that a lot... It made me feel better, I'm glad he said that or I might have felt worse when I got home.

Formula was mentioned, but we are going to just see what happens with me making a few changes with my breastfeeding. Depending on what her advice is next time, I might see a lactation consultant for another opinion. It's just hard to know. So many professionals are ignorant about breastfeeding.

I'm open to any more input you might have :)

Oh I forgot. I pumped 6oz this morning for him, and he seemed to like the bottle fine and drank 5oz of my milk from it. I don't know how much babies are supposed to take at this age though.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Did they use Cdc charts which is more formula fed babies or who which are more breastfed it makes a difference if you want to look it up and see if it changes things for you? Is your lo still having lots of wet and poppy diapers. Sorry it didn't go well
Old 03-13-2014, 01:58 PM

My milk volume can really change dependent on how much water I drink. I never tried but there are also supplements like fenugrek to increase milk. The only other thing I can think of is a tongue or lip tie which could cause him to not be transferring the milk efficiently. Or maybe hopefully he is perfectly fine and just a little peanut and hasn't hit the growth spurt yet.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I don't have any advice but I wanted to say you are a great mom and your baby is super lucky to have such an attentive, caring person raising him. I hope you can find some answers soon.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
What percentile is he? If he is having 10 wet nappies/ day and 4 poos then he is getting enough milk. It is common for breastfed babies to move around the percentiles. If he is gaining weight, meeting milestones, settled between feeds and having all those wet nappies then you're doing pretty well.

My first baby lost weight at about 8mo. I offered her the breast every hour that she was awake and weighed her once a week to make sure we were heading in the right direction.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 03-14-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgreen View Post

Did they use Cdc charts which is more formula fed babies or who which are more breastfed it makes a difference if you want to look it up and see if it changes things for you? Is your lo still having lots of wet and poppy diapers. Sorry it didn't go well

It appears they used the WHO, and yeah he still has about the same number of diapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgreen View Post

My milk volume can really change dependent on how much water I drink. I never tried but there are also supplements like fenugrek to increase milk. The only other thing I can think of is a tongue or lip tie which could cause him to not be transferring the milk efficiently. Or maybe hopefully he is perfectly fine and just a little peanut and hasn't hit the growth spurt yet.

I drink a ton of water, and I was thinking of taking some supplements or trying nursing teas. Do you think he could really be 4 months old and we not know about a tongue tie? Visibly his latch looks fine, and he basically knew how to breastfeed after his second latch after birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid09 View Post

I don't have any advice but I wanted to say you are a great mom and your baby is super lucky to have such an attentive, caring person raising him. I hope you can find some answers soon.

Thank you, it means a lot. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

What percentile is he? If he is having 10 wet nappies/ day and 4 poos then he is getting enough milk. It is common for breastfed babies to move around the percentiles. If he is gaining weight, meeting milestones, settled between feeds and having all those wet nappies then you're doing pretty well.

My first baby lost weight at about 8mo. I offered her the breast every hour that she was awake and weighed her once a week to make sure we were heading in the right direction.

2% :( it sounds so bad. Probably because it is. Yeah I kept track of his diapers again and got similar results. He is doing all those things, developmentally he might even be a little ahead.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
And what have his previous percentiles been? Some babies are just small. I know it's a cliche but not everyone can be at the top of the bell curve. There have to be outliers at either end or it wouldn't be a bell curve.

I don't want to make light of this, there may be an issue. It doesn't sound like a supply problem though. He is hydrated *and* you are expressing every day. I think a watch and wait approach is reasonable for now. Keep track of his nappies and do a weekly weigh. What is his length doing? Sometimes babies have a length growth spurt and it takes a little while for their chub to catch up again.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

His weight percentiles were 51%, 14%, 2% and height 86%, 34%, 46%. These were taken at 9 days, 10 weeks, 4 months.

I don't know if this matters at all, but he was huge when he was born. I'm 5'5 115 and hubby is 5'2 and comes from little people. The women in my family had 6lb babies, and I had an 8lb8oz 21.5 long baby at my due date. It was a little unexpected.

I am calling a lactation consultant that my homebirth midwife told me about. I'm worried 2 weeks isn't enough time for him to gain enough to please the doctor, so I want help and a second opinion before we go in again.

I bought an herbal more milk supplement, not sure if that will help improve the milk I have but figured it can't hurt. I'm continuing to try to eat more.

Those of you who pump...what does your milk look like in the fridge? My separated fatty part at the top looks like 1/7 or so, although I don't know how reliable this is.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 PM

Wait, wait. If your little guy is genetically destined to be on the small side, he is probably just settling into what is normal for him. If he didn't start out little, he is going to have to get little at some point, or wind up larger than anyone else in your family. I'm with the pp that suggest a wait and see.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Maybe try block feeding? Keep offering the same breast instead of switching back and forth at each feeding, that way he will be getting more of the hind milk. Think of it like when you use the hot water. Initially, it takes a bit for the hot water to make it to the facuet, but go back in ten minutes and it comes out a lot sooner than it did last time kwim?

ETA- Try adding some healthy fats into your diet too. Avocado, coconut oil...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 03-18-2014, 05:28 PM

Can you see another doctor? I only ask because my baby is way off the WHO growth chart in weight and about 25th percentile in length. Her doctor isn't overly concerned as she's overall healthy and happy. We had an appointment today and at 3 mos she's only 8lbs 12oz (she was 6.12 at birth.) She has plenty of wet and poopy diapers a day, she's where she should be developmentally for her age, and generally a happy baby, just small. It averages out that she gains almost 0.5 oz a day; 0.5-1 oz a day is considered normal at this age. My first DD was the same way. She was always itty bitty as a baby (usually a size behind in clothes, like the 3-6 mos size finally fit at 6 mos.) But now she's a completely average size healthy 10-year-old. I think some babies are just smaller. (Although I do sometimes get jealous of super chunky babies, lol!)

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

oh i think your lo is just find he has been gaining and not losing so that is a good thing and like the pp have said early he has had plenty of wet and poop diapers so he is probable just going to be a small kid and i did have a problem with my baby which is 4 months now and she was not gaining at all and was losing weight instead and her docs and me give her formula in the begin when she was about two weeks old cause she lost a good bit of weight but now she is gaining with no problem and is now just breastfeed again and is doing good so i think she just need a little jump start to start putting weight on so maybe he needs that too

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 

User Tag List