Question about pumping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-07-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey there! My baby is four months old and a little chubster. Up until very recently he would barely get a bottle. I have been dealing with PPD and have finally realized that I need some time to myself almost every day to exercise, sleep uninterrupted, or just get out of the house. My sanity depends on it.

My question is, if I'm only gone for two or three hours, do I need to bring the pump with me? He typically has about 2 or 3 ounces of pumped milk while I'm gone. I pump extra at night after he is sleeping. Should I also pump while I'm out? I'm worried my supply will suffer. It's really hard for me to even think of him getting a bottle for some reason; the LAST thing I would want is for it to effect our BFing relationship negatively. Thoughts?

TIA!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-07-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

When I came home from the NICU with the little one, a dear friend moved in for about two months to help us.

With enough fenugreek and mother's milk tea, I was able to have an hour or two a day to myself, handing my month old 33 week preemie to daddy or her uncle.

I had a preemie and it didn't affect my supply to get that nap or hour to myself almost every day.

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif
#3 of 8 Old 03-07-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, preemieprincess! Did you need to pump while you were having that time alone and baby was getting a bottle? I mean, during the actual time you were away?

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#4 of 8 Old 03-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Nope! I even managed to nap sometimes :)

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif
#5 of 8 Old 03-08-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemieprincess View Post

Nope! I even managed to nap sometimes :)

WOW!! Now that's impressive! ;)

joy.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-08-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2-3 hours should not effect your supply. I'm guessing your lo probably nurses about every 2-3 hours at this point. Either nurse or pump before you go and then again when you get back. As a former EPer I can tell you it's kind of a pain to drag a pump everywhere with you and try to find a spot to pump. If you're going to be gone for 5+ hours then I'd try to pump at around the3 hour mark.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#7 of 8 Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mine is 4 months also and I feed every 2-3 hours. I nurse right before I leave and won't be gone more than 3 hours. If I was gone longer than that I might bring a manual pump for my comfort, but I don't think it would effect my supply unless it was 4+ hours (me personally). I nurse a lot at night still so that might have something to do with it.

dalia likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Getting out of the house has been a godsend to me. Knowing I don't have to pump makes it that much easier!

joy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page