Breast pads - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With this new kid, I want to sew my own breastpads. 

What is the best material for this? I would like to go all natural, since I do have a tendency to get thrush/eczema, but am worried about the scratchiness/leakiness of pure wool. 

Looked around in the web for some suggestions, but the wool ones (at least the ones I found) were one layer only without patting, and I cannot really think that that would be enough. (I tend to leak quite heavily) 

Any experiences?

Hugs,

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#2 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 AM

I have some made from several layers of flannel (like 6-8 layers) but had to just get disposable ones. I leaked right through all of them.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#3 of 10 Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I thougt it might be like that...but if I put a wool layer at the very end...would that hold the fluid ...

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#4 of 10 Old 03-15-2014, 05:21 AM

I made mine with 4 layers of t shirt and one of flannel. They are quite absorbent. If I'm worried about leaks I fold up a baby wash cloth and add it on the inside to increase absorbancy.
#5 of 10 Old 03-15-2014, 05:26 AM

I have fairly large breasts and traced a cd as a pattern.
#6 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post

Yeah, I thougt it might be like that...but if I put a wool layer at the very end...would that hold the fluid ...
I think the problem with that is wool and flannel (or another absorbent material) have different washing requirements. If you use 100% wool it will felt when washed and dried. You could probably add a layer of fleece for breathability and leak-proofness.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#7 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

i used cotton t shirts cut up in about 6 layers and they dont leak with me and my boobs tend to leak alot

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#8 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 08:09 PM

I really like my flannel ones, 4 layers. I've leaked through them a few times, but not often (though I do leak a lot). Plus they're easy to wash and not bulky to wear.

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#9 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I used bamboobies (overnights mostly!) they don't leak through clothes. I also sewed my own cloth baby wipes into 9x9 squares of double layered flannel- and often when I was at home I would just stuff them in my bra all lumpy and they did the job. I'm sure you could easily just sew a couple layers of flannel together (bonus points if you can find a waterproof fabric to face out) and it would work.

#10 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The Joann's fabric store near my now house full on diaper making supplies which includes PUL, the waterproof later they put in cloth diaper covers and dry bags so perhaps you could put a layer of that in a pad? I'd do 4-6 layers of flannel or t-shirt fabric a layer of PUL and then another of flannel-so they don't slip around. 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page