Looking ahead to the next one... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I am potentially expected my second child, and I'm hoping to get a grasp on what went wrong with breastfeeding with my first so I can be more successful with the second.

So - my DD was born 3 weeks early, healthy, a bit scrawny.  We struggled with the latch, starting in the hospital. We met with the lactation consultants again and again, but we still weren't really getting the hang of it, and I was recovering from a c-section, so I didn't really have full mobility to try things out. 

At home, the struggled to latch continued.  We would eventually get something I thought was acceptable (but I don't think it was ever quite right), and she would suck/sleep for an hour, then DP would take her and I'd pump for a while.  She didn't seem particularly content, cried a lot, wanted to nurse again and again.  The poor latch started taking a toll on my nipples right away.

When my milk came in, in became clear pretty quickly that she wasn't actually getting any milk.  I became painfully engorged, my breasts were like gigantic lumpy rocks, and even though I tried hand expressing, warm compresses, pumping, I couldn't seem to get any milk out.  An ounce or two from 30 minutes of pumping.  And DD would nurse for half an hour or more but wasn't getting any milk.  (That was the verdict of the lactation consultant, who would weigh her before and after nursing.)  I developed a bad fever, and nursing became like a constant hell.  I'd shake with pain while my DD attempted to latch again and again, she'd suck forever, still be unhappy, I'd pump as long as I could for hardly any return, and then it was time for another futile nursing session.  I dreaded being handed my baby.  I'd cry and say no, no, please take her away.  It was a nightmare. 

So my question is - why couldn't I get any milk out?????  Was it that my DD had a poor latch and a weak suck?  Was there something wrong on my end that made me unable to pump either?  We eventually switched to just pumping, supplementing with formula.  After her first bottle, my DD seemed content for the first time in her life - like she'd never actually been full before.  It made me feel horrible. 

Anyone have any insight? 

#2 of 5 Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some people don't respond well to pumps or you may have had the wrong flange size. As far as baby, the first thing I would look at is tongue tie. Very common and commonly missed cause for inability to transfer milk.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 5 Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 AM

I second the guess of a tongue tie or a lip tie. My son had one. As faras pumping I haven't tried that many times because ds refuses a bottle but the times I have I have gotten very little and my son is a little chunk at almost six months so there is plenty of milk just didn't want to pump out smile.gif. I have also heard when you are stressed you get less pumping and it sure sounds like what you were going through was stressful.
#4 of 5 Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I looked at some info on tongue tie on kellymom, and it definitely sounds like it fits our situation.  I just can't understand why the lactation consultants that we visited, like, every day, didn't consider it.  It sounds like it's such a common issue, and we seem to have had all the common symptoms.  Makes me kind of angry to think that there could have been a simple solution.  I wish I had known more and had better support in place. 

So, if it was tongue-tie, would I still be able to see/feel it now?  Might it still be affecting her in some way?  It would be nice to know for sure. 

As for the pumping thing, I have heard people say that it just doesn't work well for some.  I tried multiple flange sizes, hand pump and hospital grade, and tried to work out how to hand express, but none of that worked.  There was a lot of stress involved, so I think that was a big part of it.  I'd always turn on an episode of the Gilmore girls and wrap myself in a heated blanket to try to help myself relax, but there were other environmental stressors at play, too, so I'm not sure even the Gilmore Girls could overcome it. 

Thanks for the input, both of you.

#5 of 5 Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM

My son was able to eventually stretch out his tonguetie. With lots of discomfort on my part and his wasn't one of the worst levels.Some babies are never able to and end up with speech issues when they are older if it isnt clipped. So you may or may not be able to tell with your daughter. There are several recognized types of ties and some are harder to see then others if they haven't seen that type before. My ped didn't think he had one at first but later agreed with midwife and lc and the ped is very breastfeeding friendly. He just missed it during his first exam.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page