When can I expect my fertility back? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Mommas,

I have a relatively personal question for all of you.  My son is 11 months old, and still nurses for most of his nutrition.  I feed him solids, baby food, etc. but he's just not that interested.  He nurses usually around 5x a night (I think).  He's fast approaching his first birthday, and I always thought it would be nice to have kids 2 years apart.  Except now that might not even be possible!  I was curious to know when your fertility returned.  I've been considering weaning a bit, but the problem is nursing my son revolves around sleeping.  He'll only nurse when he's tired and needs a nap or wakes up at night.  I'd love to night wean, but I just haven't had any luck.  I'm afraid if I wean during the day then he'll want to nurse more at night! Or that once he night weans that he'll be completely weaned.

You're probably all wondering why I'm even thinking of another baby while I still have one who wakes me up all night.   I just have the 2 year age difference stuck in my head . . . 

#2 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

P.S. My son will NOT fall asleep unless he's nursing or being rocked/strolled/car ride.  HELP!

#3 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm wondering about this my self!
My baby girl is only 6mo right now. Unless one of us isn't feeling well she eats 2 food meals a day. And nurses to sleep. So on average 5 feedings a day.
She loves getting food, and eats good. It seems like she nurses less at night when she gets food during the day.

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif
#4 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My fertility returned with my DS at 9 months. He was quite the nurser, all day and all night.

I had to stop nursing DD at 3 months. Fertility came back at 7 months.

Some women don't regain their fertility for a couple of years when they're nursing, though. It seems to be an individual thing.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#5 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

DD was 18th months when my cycle returned.  She nursed non-stop day and night.  Side note: I now think I was chronically dehydrated and recently read a momma who noticed baby didn't nurse as much at night when momma drank enough water during the day.  

DS is almost 10 months and I am starting to feel like my hormones are ramping up into cyclical patterns.  Maybe I will bleed earlier than 18 months this time.  I have noticed he sleeps better and nurses less at night when I am better nourished and hydrated.

#6 of 7 Old 04-22-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

My cycle came back after 18 months, when baby was eating some solids but still nursing frequently.  I didn't notice any decrease in his nursing right at that time; it was just gradual.

You might want to explore your reasons for wanting a 2-year age gap.  A lot of people think 2-3 years is sort of the default sibling spacing.  My parents say they assumed that without question, having both grown up in families with that spacing, and that's why they conceived my brother as soon as it was possible--we are 29 months apart--but it was very hard for them when he was a baby and I was still very needy, not fully toilet trained, couldn't dress myself, etc.  When it was just me, they'd gotten a lot out of taking turns with the kid so the other parent could get stuff done; with two young kids, they found that a lot of the time each kid needed a parent's full attention, and they were burned out.  My brother and I did play well together at times, but we also had intense sibling rivalry and bugged each other a lot, until we were both past 10 years old.  Since then we've gotten along well, but that could have happened with a wider spacing, too, and I think we both might be more secure people if we'd felt in our early childhood that it was okay for us to get all our needs met without a lot of stress.

Anyway, I'd focus on parenting your son and filling his needs for nursing and bedtime closeness...and let your fertility do what it will.  Many moms (including mine) get pregnant again without ever having a period between babies, so if you don't do anything to avoid it, that may happen when the time is right.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#7 of 7 Old 04-24-2014, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Prob does not help you but yes, my fertility only returned when I stopped nursing at night.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page