Best electric pump? Best manual pump? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I plan to get a new double electric pump to use when I return to work, and a new manual pump to use any other time I have to be away from my baby or when I get engorged at home.  What pumps do people especially like?  Have you tried any that were not so great?  Are there particular features I should know about? 

I didn't shop around when I had my first baby because I was given used pumps by trusted friends--a Medela Pump In Style and an Avent manual pump.  At the time, my insurance did not cover pumps.  Now it does.  The policy just says, "The pump must be obtained from a Durable Medical Equipment provider," and it's unclear whether there's a choice of models, but for now I'm assuming I have some choice about the electric pump.  Manual ones are cheap enough that I'm willing to buy one in a store and not get it through insurance if that's necessary to get a good model.

I have smallish, firm breasts, if that makes a difference.  I didn't have much trouble pumping last time but didn't have a super-abundant supply either.  I remember having to set the suction level higher after my baby started solids.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#2 of 8 Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My insurance gave me a free manual pump, a Medela Symphony. It works just fine. I only use it occasionally. I think my insurance would have let me rent a hospital-grade pump for free with a prescription, but they would not give me a pump for free so you should call to make sure what your plan covers. I use a Medela Pump n Style Advanced for work. It works just fine too. The only big drawback is that it is an open system so germs can get in it. I believe the Ameda Purely Yours is a closed system. My LC only recommended the Pump n Style and the Purely Yours for pumping full-time at work. The Medela Freestyle she said did not have good enough power. I have heard good things about a Hygeia pump, but I don't know much about it.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 8 Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love Medela pumps. I used the Freestyle when I was exclusively pumping and its definitely strong enough to maintain your supply. It's very convenient to use as it has a rechargeable battery so you don't have to worry about finding an outlet.

For a manual pump I like both the Avent and the Lansinoh brand one. They're essentially the same style of pump with a handle to use for expressing. I just find them easy to use one handed.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#4 of 8 Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a Hygeia Enjoye Double Electric Pump with internal battery (I only plug it in to charge once a week) and I LOVE it! I had a Medela PIS with my DD but the Hygeia is so much more comfortable. I pump nearly every day. The Hygeia is a closed system, truly a multi-user pump I can pass on when I'm done with it, and fully recyclable. Mine was paid for by insurance (I paid $35 for the shipping). The Hygeia website has links to DMEs that will ship around the US (some only ship in state). I gave them my insurance information and they billed my insurance directly. Easy peasy. I highly recommend the Enjoye!!
pokeyac likes this.

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#5 of 8 Old 03-21-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips!  I hadn't realized there were electric pumps with rechargeable batteries.  I had been thinking power wouldn't be a problem because I have a power strip right on my desk, easy to reach--but now I'm realizing the cord would have to come forward across the desk, kind of in the way, whereas if I can use the pump on battery power and then charge it while I'm not using it, I could set it on top of my computer tower and it wouldn't be in my way at all.  Then I also would have the option of pumping at my side table and not having to face the computer.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

#6 of 8 Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping my thread in case anyone else has input.  Baby is due any day now!

#7 of 8 Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I liked the medela pump in style. I also really liked the hospital grade pump I rented from a medical supply place, almost 9 years ago,can't remember all the specifics. But that thing rocked! I had to pump and dump when DD was 6 weeks old for a PP infection and that hospital grade pump was by far the best I've ever used. I want to say it was a lactina...?? IDK for sure. It would be worth it to google it.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#8 of 8 Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, have to update my previous post...I have been using the Hygeia Enjoye for the past 6 weeks and it is so much gentler than the Medela Freestyle. I can't say that I notice much difference in my output between the pumps, but the Hygeia feels better. And I like having the separate speed and suction controls. So far I haven't turned the suction up past the halfway mark, but I'll adjust the speed faster to help have another let down. The pump unit itself is bigger than the Freestyle but I think they weigh about the same. And, the Medela pump parts (flanges and connectors) work with the Hygeia tubes. I need the 27 mm flanges which I'm pretty sure Hygeia doesn't offer. Plus, the fact that Hygeia pumps are degsigned for multiple users and can be recycled is a big plus in my book.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page