Breastfeeding and back to work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I currently exclusively breast-feed my nine week old son and I have to go back to work full time in a couple weeks. I wasn't planning on going back full time this soon, we just had an issue with the loan that we're trying to get to buy a house and we're already under contract... they need a current paystub from me, to project my income for the year and obviously I've been on maternity leave so I don't have one. I talked to my boss and he said that he can fit me in sooner than later and move some shifts around for me (I'm a bartender).

I'm just really worried because my son hasn't been left alone with my husband yet and it's nearly impossible to get William (my son) to even be happy with him and not scream the entire time he's holding him. I feel really really anxious that my husband won't be able to handle it and that it will be too stressful for all of us!! I really wish I could just go back one or two nights a week but in order to get the loan I need to work much more than that. uughhhh!!!

Oh, and on top of that we cannot for the life of us get our son to take a bottle. He only wants the breast. How am I my supposed to go back to work and not freak out knowing that my baby is screaming and starving??!!

I am going back mid April, so I'm going to leave him home with dad for short periods of time and try to work up to longer periods so that it's not such a shock when I'm gone for eight hours at a time. I am absolutely anxious and don't know what to do and I am terrified. I could really use some advice or just hear somebody else's story!

I'm really sorry for the rambling I'm just kind of freaking out. Thank you for your help!
pokeyac likes this.
#2 of 4 Old 03-23-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went back to work suddenly around 10w. my husband did practice bottles with me out of the house when baby was hungry but not famished.
#3 of 4 Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi cherrydanger! Welcome to Mothering and congratulations on your new baby! I was very anxious about getting my baby to take a bottle and leaving him with other people too. It's something they need to learn. They need to practice it several times and then they just get it. There are tons of tips on how to get a baby to take a bottle. Kellymom has great info on breastfeeding and this link has lots of info on how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby and there are articles at the bottom on how to get the baby to take a bottle. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/
What worked for us was dropping him off at our friend's house when he was a little hungry. We gave them 2 different types of bottles, and he took the second one and ate just fine. Sometimes a change of scenery or having someone else offer the bottle works. Sometimes it works better if you hold them facing away from you or in a position that isn't like breastfeeding. Does your husband wear the baby? That might help. You can also leave a t-shirt or something that you have worn for your husband to keep near so baby can smell you when you are not there. I hope everything goes well.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 4 Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are so many of us out there who know what you're going through Cherrydanger!  It can be scary and overwhelming going back to work and worrying about whether or not your little one is starving.

I agree that the kellymom site is a great resource.  Here are my been there, done that suggestions: try several different types of bottles and get the slowest drip nipples possible (look for premie nipples).  Leave the room when your husband is feeding your son.  A lot of babies will always choose the breast over the bottle if they think it's an option.  Babies will not starve themselves.  Your son may put up a fight, but eventually he will get hungry and eat.

Also, start pumping and building up your supply now.  Some people have no trouble with pumping, but I struggled to keep up an adequate supply which lead to stress, which lead to lower supply and it was such a frustrating experience for me.  I recommend spending the money on a high quality pump if you don't already have one.  That is the number one thing I would do differently than last time.

As far as getting comfortable with your husband, that will come too.  My son loves being outside and going for walks.  Maybe that's something your husband and son can do together.  I know things are stressful right now, but like all things this too shall pass.  I hope that the transition is smooth for your family!

pokeyac likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page