If you could give a new mom any advice or wisdom about breastfeeding, what would it be? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Don't keep any formula in the house, "just in case." Get rid of any samples that you may have been given. Supplementing is a huge decision, and will effect your milk supply, so such a huge decision deserves its own trip to the store.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Don't feel bad if you need to supplement for whatever reason you might have.  Nurse as much as you can or want to, but don't be afraid not to do it exclusively.  Taking the pressure off can help a lot. 

#63 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I had to supplement with my first because my milk took 5 days to come in because of all the interventions. I was totally devastated and bawled my eyes out because I couldn't feed my baby how I wanted. Like pp said there was also a lot of pressure that I had built up that made it harder. I kept pumping and refused to give up and only supplemented for 3 days and ditched it as soon as I could.

Sometimes you have to supplement and it hurts like hell but must be done. Don't hesitate to call LLL if you're in this situation.
#64 of 68 Old 05-09-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wish this website had been available to me when I was a first-time mom...this advice would have saved me a LOT of heartache.

Please, no matter how good you feel, allow your body to REST and just hold and love your baby.  Let all the housework, grocery shopping, laundry go for as long as possible.

Let people help you, so you can nurse, nurse, nurse!

Don't be surprised by how often your baby needs you.  He/she may need to nurse for comfort/closeness even when not truly hungry.  That's OK!

Be in the moment, it will pass quickly :)

#65 of 68 Old 05-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardendweller View Post

what brand would you recommend for a fellow big-boobed mama?

Last time, I bought Bravado original double plus but it gave such a uniboob effect.
http://www.bravadodesigns.com/mobile/uk-en/the-original-nursing-bra-double-plus-style

This time I've bought Goddess women's Keira nursing bra:
http://www.amazon.com/Goddess-Womens-Keira-Nursing-Nude/dp/B0061IRX0U/

I like it better than the bravado one I used last time. This time I've also bought a bravado foam cup nursing bra that I'll use after a month to prevent over stretching of the cups. Will provide feedback after I get to try them. The baby is due in 2 weeks.

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#66 of 68 Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I've just ditched bras for the first few months, the bravado will come out soon though. I wear nursing tanks under my shirts so doesn't make sense to me to have a bra on in addition.
#67 of 68 Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Basedon the experience I just had, I want to add:
If your otherwise healthy baby is suddenly SPITTING UP BLOOD, take a look at your nipples. If they are cracked and scabbed, that is probably your blood and does not indicate an emergency condition in your baby--although of course you will want to get baby checked by a doctor to make sure, and get yourselves to an LC to stop the vampirous nursing!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#68 of 68 Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Learn the art of nursing while lying down. This will be a lifesaver, especially in the early days. 

Do not stop, it will get better eventually.

Buy LOTS of nursing bras or go without because milk will be everywhere!

Let them nurse as much as needed. It won't go on forever and the positive impact you are having on them is huge.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page