Mothering Forum banner

BF and Baby Poops

726 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  malinoismama 
#1 ·
I have a question for you all. I have a 2 1/2 month old LO. He is exclusively breastfed. He only has a poop every couple days. When he was a newborn he would go every other day like clockwork. Now it's pushed out to every three or four days or more. He seems fine. When he goes he has a nice healthy looking blowout. It just seems so weird to me though and I can't help but worry about this. I know BF babies can do this, I just wanted to hear from other mothers if their LO's do this too. My other babies always pooped all the time so this is new for me. TIA!

#6 ·
Yeah there's a huge range of normal for breastfed baby poops. My son went all day long as a newborn lol, and then as he got older it slowly became less frequent. Now he goes 1-4 times a day.

If he seems fine he probably is, but if he's straining or you think he's constipated, dairy in your diet could be a culprit.

#8 ·
I am also voting for totally normal. My son started going several days between when he was a few months old. The most was probably 5 days. What I heard was that they are using all of the good stuff in breastmilk so there is less waste. Congratulations on your new baby!

#10 ·
Thanks all! He has been doing really well on his now once a week poop. Breast milk truly is amazing. To think its the body absorbs almost all of it with little waste is neat. My DS is almost three months and starting to really chunk up. I love breast milk chubby babies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.