So tell me stories... what is the longest a baby has gone with exclusively breastfeeding? (alternate title: Is he EVER going to eat?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-05-2014, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Baby is 9 months old, every time we try and give him baby food, he gives us an accusing glare like we're trying to poison him. We MIGHT get about two bites in him.

He doesn't want to take a bottle, not even pumped. Only straight from the tap. (Even tried non-frozen pumped... nope.)
He would when he was younger, but now that he can go longer between feedings, he just chooses to wait for me to get home from work instead. Even if that's 6 to 8 hours later.
About a month ago, I had sedation dentistry done and was supposed to pump and dump for 24 hours. He went FOURTEEN hours without eating. Refused formula and baby food. (I only had one bottle's worth pumped and I was saving it for bedtime.) With some work I convinced him to have about 6oz of breast-milk after 14 hours, then he went another 8 before I gave in and fed him 2 hours early.
It's making me slightly bonkers.

#2 of 6 Old 04-05-2014, 11:48 PM

My DS is about 9 months and pretty much EBF still. We've offered several different foods over the last few months, but he isn't interested. He takes pumped breastmilk in a bottle or cup no problem though, and I'm home with him almost all the time so it's never been an issue. I know some babies can go beyond a year on breastmilk alone, but going so many hours without any food/milk would concern me too.
Have you tried feeding him from a cup? DS has a sippy cup he likes and also happily drinks from a regular glass if we hold it for him.

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#3 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 11:41 AM

DS2 didn't really eat any appreciable amount of solids until after 12 mos.
#4 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son is 8 months old and won't eat solids. The only thing besides breastmilk he'll take is a few sips of water or carrot juice. When we try to offer small bites or purees, he makes a face like we're trying to poison him. He will take a bottle when I'm not home though.

#5 of 6 Old 04-07-2014, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

It's not that I'm really worried for his sake, but I'm going a little crazy being the only food source in kiddo's life.
And come summer, I'll be starting an internship and possibly work-study that means daycare for him. 20-40 hours a week. I'd like to gradually get him eating something other than EBF, but then I tell myself, "Oh, he couldn't possibly still be EBF at a year...."
then... "or could he?"

#6 of 6 Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
He could! My DD didn't eat anyrhing until over a year and refused all bottles from the get go. She didn't eat for real caloric intake until she weaned between 2 1/2-3 yrs old. She eventually accepted water only from a sippy cup. And yes, I worked outside my home. She'd wait until I came home to eat. I know it's challenging but try to remember it's all temporary.

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page