EBF baby, low weight gain, and possible reflux? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My 3rd baby,so you'd think I know what I am doing...*sigh*.

All my kids were born 6lb 6oz at 41 weeks or so.  The 2 older ones gained very quickly and were the same weight at every checkup.  The 3rd, a girl, was only 9.5lb at 2m.  The ped wasn't worried as she was on her way to doubling her birth wt by 4 months.  Now dd is 4m and has only gained 1.5 lb in 2 months (11lb now).  She has been sick for a week, so maybe she would have gained a little more.  Today I took her to urgent care for her cough and asked about the weight.  The ped thought she hasn't gained enough, and thought silent reflux may be the problem.  I've suspected reflux as dd will cry on the breast after a short while... sometimes she'll sleep with the nipple in her mouth, but often she pulls off...definitely I've thought she doesn't nurse as often/much as the boys did.  Also I quit dairy with the boys because of blood in the poop, but she's never had any, so I've continued drinking milk.

We see her regular ped in 2 days for the 4m well check...and I need ideas to run past him.  They're very pro breastfeeding at this practice, so I don't think they'll jump to formula recommendations.  

Developmentally, dd is doing great...everyone comments on how interested she is in everything and everyone.    

#2 of 8 Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm sorry I don't have any advice to share, but I am bumping your post up for more attention. I hope you find some answers soon.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 8 Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know about low weight gain, but I do know about reflux!  DS is just over 10 months and we're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  You might try an elimination diet, but if your LO's issue is organic/structural (e.g., an immature sphincter), then that won't do much.  What did wonders for us was osteopathic treatments.  Sometimes reflux is exacerbated by (usually hidden) birth "trauma", so to say-- particularly if it was a very long or very fast birth.  In our case, DS came so quickly that he had some spinal compression that resulted in a lot of tension in his trunk.  However, we're in Germany so the system works a little differently here and it's not so easy to get care like that for infants in the States. I have heard that in the US, however, it's possible to find a chiropractor that will work on very little ones.  You might look into that.  But honestly, DS ended up on omeprazole (I think prevacid in the US) from about 5 months to 9 months and it was well worth it.  He still gets physical therapy for some of his tension issues, but the reflux is greatly improved.  It's really hard, but just try whatever combination of meds and holistic treatments you are comfortable with, and you will eventually get through it! 

pokeyac likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can you prop her up a bit when she's sleeping? That works wonders for my reflux. Also, if you can, try nursing her in a more upright position (I know nothing of her anatomy or yours, so this might not be possible).
IF the doctor does suggest a medication, I would go with one of the proton pump inihibitors (the generic name will end in zole), not ranitidine (Zantac). It will be more expensive, but has far fewer long term side affects. 

#5 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

So, we had our visit with the regular ped and he thought she was just fine!  She weighed in at 11lb 1oz, and was 25" long.  He said that bf babies are just all over the curve.  I am somewhat confused because the charts I've looked at online seem to indicate she's under 5% and he said she is 5%.  He said very rarely does he see a baby with failure to thrive because of reflux.  It's strange, because the other ped that we saw in urgent care really felt like dd hadn't gained enough.  I've been thinking of all the times that dd pulls off the breast, and it seems like a lot of times she's not so much screaming (as in pain) as in loudly complaining (hard to explain the sound diff!), ... she seems to not *love* to just lay and nurse as much as the my other kids did, but she seems to love just looking at things and demands to be where the action is - usually where her brothers are making noise.  I do remember her kind of gagging in her sleep, so I do think she had reflux, but perhaps it's gotten better, as I haven't seen her doing that in a while.  I dunno, I feel like she's fine, but I'm hoping I'm not just hearing what I want to hear from the Dr.  I asked him if she's not supposed to double her weight by 4 months, and he kind of said that applies to ff babies, not bf.  But according to kellymom, bf babies also double their weight by 4 months...so she hasn't done that at all.  But if she's growing fine in length and head circumference and meeting her milestones, she's probably ok?

rainbownurse likes this.
#6 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and her little bassinet is reclined...she sleeps either in there or on me.  And when she nurses, I just about always have her head higher than the rest of her.  Ds2 had reflux and I just got used to that....plus dd has been coughing a lot the last week with a cold, so I've been keeping her inclined for that.

rainbownurse likes this.
#7 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Babies grow differently. My guy shot up in length and then packed on the pounds (he looked so silly. We had him in 9mo clothes at 3months). Maybe your girl will do the same. Hugs!

#8 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dd was 4 months on 4/18. At her well baby visit on 4/15 she weighed 10lbs 2oz, which puts her in the 2nd percentile. She was 6lbs 12oz at birth so she's not even close to doubling her birth weight. However, her daily "output" is normal, she is meeting all her developmental milestones, and she sleeps well. Basically, she a totally healthy, normal 4 month old who is on the smaller side. Her doctor isn't concerned because of the reasons above. She says that there has to be just as many babies below the 5th percentile as there are above the 95th percentile for the growth charts to be a nice curve. So she's just a small baby. Look at it this way, you'll get a lot of use out of clothes and diapers! We're still in 0-3 mos clothes and I just put away our nb/xs diapers.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page