FTM-need baby weight gain reassurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey guys, I'm a FTM with an almost 8 month old baby boy. He weighs just at 17 pounds and is exclusively breast fed. He dabbles in solids, but he mostly just plays with it. He is long and lean, and doesn't have "rolls" or very much baby fat. He doesn't look unhealthy though. DH and I were both small, lean babies and lanky kids. (And we still are, kinda haha)

Anyway...sorry for the rambling but it is hard not to second guess myself! All of my friends' babies are very fat and chubby, even a few babies that are younger than him. And I tend to think "fat baby = healthy baby" even though I know it isn't necessarily true. I guess I just need some reassurance that he's normal! I've heard that breastfed babies taper out in weight gain after 6 months. Is this true? Did any of you have smallish babies? Now that he's starting to crawl, do I need to change my diet to get him more calories so that he doesn't lose weight from all of his "exercise"?

Thanks! Sorry I'm kind of anxious about all this!
#2 of 5 Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Also, should I worry that he's not really into "eating" yet?
#3 of 5 Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Short and (hopefully) sweet: Don't worry about anything unless there is really a need to worry.
Most of the time our worries are due to our love of our little ones combined with lack of experience and lack of relatives nearby to exclaim that our little one is beautiful and thriving.
If your son is happy, sleeps well and nurses well, has healthy bowel movements. . . I wouldn't worry. Oh, and if You are well nourished and feel energetic and strong, that would also be an indicator that baby is getting exactly what he needs.
It sounds like your munchkin is going to be lanky just like mom and dad. ; )
#4 of 5 Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
There are several recent threads about the broad spectrum of normal regarding when babies started showing interest in solid foods. Several moms reported that their babies didn't start eating solids in earnest until 15 or even 18 months.
The biggest thing I would focus on is staying hydrated. It is so easy to forget we are needing to drink enough for two. Keep water by your bedside and always carry a water bottle when out of the house.
#5 of 5 Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I agree with OrmEmBar. If he is meeting his milestones, gaining weight overall and having 5+ wet disposable or 6-8 wet cloth nappies in 24hrs it all sounds good.

It is true that BF babies tend to gain fast then plateau.

It is also true that "food before one is just for fun". Most of his calories should still come from breastmilk. If you want to, you can offer him higher fat solids such as avocados, cheese, yoghurt, veggies with butter etc but you don't need to worry about how much he eats.

It's also not uncommon for breastfed babies to lose weight when they become mobile. My first DD did. I just offered her the breast every hour while she was awake and weighed her once a week to make sure she wasn't losing steadily. She started gaining again in the second week and I stopped the feeding/weighing regime after a month.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page