Arms in front of her mouth! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-20-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Arms in front of her mouth!

My baby is two weeks old. Often when she wants to nurse, even if she is pretty desperate to nurse and lunging her open mouth toward me, she is also putting her arms between us, either literally in front of her face or pushing against me so that I can't get her close enough to reach the nipple. It is very frustrating!!! Since we are having some latch problems, I really need at least one hand, preferably both, to keep her head in place and get her mouth open wide enough long enough to latch on. I have been trying to pin her lower arm underneath her, but she struggles to get it loose and jabs me in the ribs and belly. Sometimes I really have trouble moving her arms, and I am afraid of hurting her, dislocating her shoulder or something.

What can I do??? We saw an LC who was very helpful with the other issues but just laughed about the arms and did not seem to have any advice on that.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-20-2014, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try swaddling and then maybe release the swaddle after her latch is good.
#3 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try Sleepy Wings jacket. We used it for our son to sleep longer, but I found that it also helped with nursing when his hands were wondering around. We bought it on novababywear.com.
#4 of 6 Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I had that problem too. It's very frustrating! Babies are so tightly wound when they are born. They are used to being in a small space and they like to have their hands by their face in the womb. It takes time for their muscles to relax. It will get better. I don't think you will hurt her by moving her arms. I think the other suggestions are good. Maybe a loose swaddle with a muslin blanket would be good to get started and you could undo it if needed.
Congratulations on your new envirobaby!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#5 of 6 Old 08-09-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My babes usually put the underneath arm around me (like a hug). Would it work to place it there and then snuggle her tight?
#6 of 6 Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
She is three months old now and slowly learning not to do this, but she still does sometimes. We were given a zip-front swaddler (Woombie) that holds her arms down pretty well, so I use that sometimes when she is really tired and I want her to stay asleep for a while.

If I put her arm around me like a hug (instead of against my tummy) she seems to be more likely to wiggle her fingers--and then she tickles me and I flinch and that causes problems of its own!

But overall I think she's outgrowing it. Whew!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page