Nursing bras at night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-21-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Random question, but wondering when you don't necessarily need to wear a nursing bra at night. I know it's more important at first, but any reason it would be needed or not needed after a given time. My baby is twelve months old. He still nurses 1-3 times a night. When I'm not nursing, I don't wear a bra to bed. I've just kept wearing one over the past year, more out of habit in recent months I guess. But I'm thinking maybe I could give it up...anything I'm not thinking of?
Thanks!

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#2 of 9 Old 05-21-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I mean... I guess it just depends.

Personally, my LO is 15 months old and still nurses a lot at night. I've always had a good supply, and healthy letdown, so nursing pads are still necessary for me if I want to avoid soaking my pajama top and bed linens (I do). Thus, I need to wear a nursing bra to hold the pads in place. I suppose if you don't have that issue, or feel fine occasionally leaking all over and having to change the sheets, you wouldn't need to wear the bra!

really miss not wearing a bra. I wear one 24/7 and my ladies just want to be freeeeeeeeeeeee. But alas. 

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
#3 of 9 Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
To avoid soaking the sheets I slept on a towel. I suppose a washable bed pad would work even better. I just never truly felt comfortable in a bra, plus it is hard for me to latch baby quickly while half asleep unless my breast is bare.
#4 of 9 Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Its up to your own comfort level.  I still wear a nursing bra after almost 9years of breastfeeding, whereas prior to that i didnt. I find it supports my breasts which are heavier because they contain breast milk. I find it really annoying when not wearing a nighttime bra.....

#5 of 9 Old 05-22-2014, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I stopped wearing one at night when I stopped leaking so much. I still leak sometimes but it mostly gets on my shirt. I usually sleep in a stretchy shirt or nursing cami so that I don't get too cold when I have to nurse in the middle of the night. I tend to run cold so I usually sleep with a shirt on anyway.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 9 Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 PM

I remember wearing nursing bra's or at least something to hold the breast pads in place when my son was 2 and 1/2 months still. I don't think I have now, and haven't for a while.  He is four months old. In the beginning it was the worst, and my breasts needed the support too because anything rubbing on my nipple felt uncomfortable, but that all went away.  Its nice how comfortable and easy nursing feels for me now.

#7 of 9 Old 06-04-2014, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I stopped about 2 months ago, and DD is nearly 8 months old. I just thought I haven't been soaking my pads, maybe I'll go without the bra tonight.
#8 of 9 Old 06-04-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I breastfed my babies, and my mom breastfed her children, including me.

My mom suggested that you should wear a good bra all the time while breastfeeding even to bed. This prevents Cooper's ligament in the breast from giving away to a condition known as Cooper's droop. Getting a good look at my grandmother, I agreed.
#9 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 09:51 PM

I stopped wearing a nursing bra to bed when DD was about 3-4 months old. For starters, I began leaking a lot less around that time (and even if I do, it's not much at all), plus I have pretty small breasts which makes side-lying nursing while cosleeping slightly more difficult even without having to maneuver around a nursing bra (even the 'pull to the side' kind). Now I just sleep with a button-down nightshirt on, and the top couple buttons undone. Keeps me warm and gives her easy access if needed. She is 8.5 months now.

Married my best friend 05.09.10, welcomed our darling daughter on 10.01.13!

08.12,  12.12, MTHFR Homo C677T diagnosis 01.13, DD born 10.13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page