Mothering Forum banner

16 month old extending latch after breast is empty

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  evmadi 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the site and hope someone can advise me on how to handle my situation. My 16 month old used to nurse and be done. Lately (past two weeks or so) she has been suckling longer and longer after the milk is gone (10-15 min but breast is empty after 3-5). Last night she stayed latched for 20 min before I ended the session and she had a fit. I am 7 weeks pregnant, so my milk production is very low. This didn't bother me until last night when she started crying because I ended her nursing session. I feel guilty because I know I'm not producing much but I don't want to create a bad habit. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
My daughter did the same thing in the middle of the night, 2-3 times a night starting at about 18 months. She would stay latched for up to an hour. She never took a bottle or a pacifier. We eventually night weaned. She was pissed but after about a week she was sleeping through the night. After night weaning she began nursing as frequently as a baby, during the day. She wanted to nurse even when I was empty. I tried to distract her with food or play but she was adamant. I started to dislike nursing so I weaned completely just before her second bithday. Sometimes I regret it. She is happy though and the comfort she got from nursing she now gets from being in my arms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.