13 month old refuses to wean - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 06-05-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
13 month old refuses to wean

My son just made 13 months and I am trying to wean him off. I read a lot about taking our time and slowing weaning him. So Ive been trying. We have introduced him smoothies and chia seed puddings. I also give him fruit baby food, home made as well as store bought. And he snacks on fruit and Gerber yogurt melts. But that's it. He snacks he wont actually eat enough to get full. I still pump and try to give him bottles and he throws fits for hours until he falls asleep. Ofcourse because he hungry he only sleeps for 15 mins. at most. Im trying everything I can think of. He refuses to eat to get full. Today I made oat porridge and he ate about a table spoon then wouldn't eat anymore. I need help. its been 4 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drouege View Post
My son just made 13 months and I am trying to wean him off. I read a lot about taking our time and slowing weaning him. So Ive been trying. We have introduced him smoothies and chia seed puddings. I also give him fruit baby food, home made as well as store bought. And he snacks on fruit and Gerber yogurt melts. But that's it. He snacks he wont actually eat enough to get full. I still pump and try to give him bottles and he throws fits for hours until he falls asleep. Ofcourse because he hungry he only sleeps for 15 mins. at most. Im trying everything I can think of. He refuses to eat to get full. Today I made oat porridge and he ate about a table spoon then wouldn't eat anymore. I need help. its been 4 weeks.
Around here the norm is 18-36 months (with plenty of outliers on either side of that) with mom weaning gently or letting the child decide when they are ready, historically, globally, and anthropologically 13 months is actually quite early. If you need to wean now it might help if he can spend more time with dad or another familiar person and away from you, or have you both out and about with you rarely sitting down, either way it's an effective distraction from wanting to nurse. Also, are you offering a replacement milk? Whole cow's milk, goat's milk, toddler formula, coconut, hempseed, or almond milk? It may help. Also he needs fat and protein, mine eats chicken and salmon pretty well, and yogurt (spoonfed), and avocado, sometimes pats of butter weirdly enough.

Last edited by JamieCatheryn; 06-05-2014 at 05:05 PM.

User Tag List