This Thread is Dedicated to Child-Led Weaning Mamas! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you like a "Child-Led Weaning" Forum/Subforum?
Yes 192 82.40%
No 26 11.16%
Undecided 15 6.44%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2004, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel grateful that some of my experience has been of service! Believe me, when I figured out the 'tired' thing and then how the basis of that was the same for 'hungry,' it was a huge lightbulb moment!

Edited to add: Although this may be different with different kids, different mothers, and different ages ... my milk simply doesn't satiate my son's hunger anymore, hence the desire to teach him to satiate his hunger with solid food. He doesn't enjoy life much when he's hungry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 04:20 PM

My dh and I finally realized recently that ds was usually having a tantrum when he was tired or hungry. That was a lightbulb moment, too! Now we have to get him to understand these concepts and verbalize them, since he can talk now.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:21 PM

Hi mamas!! I was posting on the support of older kiddos thread...but so glad to find this one, as I'm only nursing my 19month old right now. I plan on CLW with Sam and his baby bro/sis due in Dec.
Debi

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 06-20-2004, 01:00 AM

My 3 yo actually skips dinner and nurses as his final meal of the night. No matter what dinner is he will just pick at it then refuse food till bedtime. Then he is hungry and wakes up all night. Now I feed him 1 meal at around 4 then another at around 6, then he nurses at about 7. It made a HUGE difference, now he rarely wakes up at all out of hunger.

Does anyone else brag constantly about nursing their older child? I just feel compelled to tell EVERYONE!! I don't know why I guess I just want people to know that it IS done and it IS normal

I rarely see doctors, but I ended going in to see my family doc last week and was telling her all about tandem nursing. She was very impressed with how big and healthy my boys are. She has never had a patient who has nursed anywhere close to this long, so I hope she will be more open-minded with other patients

Old 06-20-2004, 01:12 AM

I voted yes. My son who is almost three nursed until a few months ago. I also have a 4 month old and i let my three year old nurse if he wants to which is a few times per week. I don't know if I fit into CLW category, but i sure intended to even when I was pregnant- he just isn't very interested, but Ive let him know that he can if wants to. i do plan to let DS2 wean himself. Oddly enough DS1 just sat on my lap to nurse- hee hee :LOL :2toddler: :bf
Old 06-20-2004, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama
Does anyone else brag constantly about nursing their older child? I just feel compelled to tell EVERYONE!! I don't know why I guess I just want people to know that it IS done and it IS normal
Yes, all the time! In fact, the other day, I was talking to a woman bfing her 6 mo, and I told her I was bfing my ds, who is 2 and 3 months old. She thought I was talking about two different children, one 2 yo and one 3 mo. When I clarified that I only have one child who is 2yrs+3mo, she was very surprised and impressed that I am still bfing. Then I wrote down the MDC website for her and told her about the local LLL meetings.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:09 PM

Thought I'd better bump this back up. Why can't I be calmly passionate vs. emotionally passionate?! I guess that's a contradiction in terms, isn't it? I've been following/participating in another discussion/debate on CLW and I came here to relax with you CLW mama's. Whew, its nice to be home
Old 06-26-2004, 12:43 PM

I'm new here and I'm wondering if this subforum was ever created and how to gain access to it?
Old 06-26-2004, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda104
I'm new here and I'm wondering if this subforum was ever created and how to gain access to it?
not yet, it's under consideration.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:21 PM

I'm a bragger! I love to tell people that I'm still nursing my almost 4 year old, my 20 month old and I'm pregnant. I'm very proud of it. Nursing through pregnancy is really hard and it takes a lot of dedication, TBH. But it's so worth it! Tandem nursing is great, IMO, and using CLW is so great! Not that I never struggled b/c and probably will again but still it's all worth it!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 06-27-2004, 01:35 AM

Oh Mommies Please help.

Have you ever felt that your child's need to be with/on you is as welcome as another mosquito landing on you? I have a 3 year old boy who has been very attached to his mommy. Recently he has relaxed his grasp some. But for the last few days his need is way back up and I feel like I am going nuts. I want to be there for him and I want some space. DH is there to assist but DS doesn't want DH.
Oh I hate that feeling of aggravation I get just because things aren't going the way I think they should. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:47 AM

Hi Ann I wonder if it could be age related? I have a 3 y/o little guy who is also very attached. The other night on my way out to mom's nite (once a month!), he cried and cried Another friend mentioned her 3 y/o was doing the same thing.

How about a change of scenery? Go to the park or for a ride or something fun? Remember, this too shall pass. Don't be too hard on yourself.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 06-27-2004, 03:23 AM

My son also has been very much attached to me and has seemed to have had separation anxiety longer than most children.

I was just reading in Building Healthy Minds (Stanley Greenspan) that between ages 3-4, children are working hard on triangular relationships. That is, they're trying to understand how it is possible to have a strong relationship with two people who also have a strong relationship with eachother (e.g., parents and child). During this phase, the child will go through phases of being very close to one parent to the exclusion of the other; this is because the child feels that the other parent will somehow interfere with his relationship with the one on whom he's concentrating (in your case right now, your son is concentrating on his relationship with you and worries that by letting your husband close to him, he'd be letting somebody interfere with his relationship with you).

As with most things, they seem to practice a whole lot while they work on these concepts! But, in time, he should understand that he can have deep relationships with his father and you simultaneously and that you and your husband can also simultaneously have a deep relationship with eachother -- all without interfering with his relationships!

During this time, if you and your husband can manage to handle things coolly -- that it's okay with you and your husband, that you both love him just the same, that you won't pull away from your relationship, etc., that should help to speed the process of understanding.

I hope that helps -- for me, understanding my son's behavior gives me more compassion, and it helps me come up with worthwhile solutions.

For us, one way that I can get time alone is that my husband will offer to take my son on a very special outing (to a favorite sandwich shop or store or to his office, or to a museum, for instance). I try not to take my son to any of these places so that he thinks of this as someplace special to go with his daddy and is eager to go when his father offers it to him!

If that isn't possible, my biggest escape is a twenty-minute bath. We might let my son do something really unusual like watch a video or play on my husband's computer with him. Or something a little less extraordinary might hack it, on occasion (like playing in the yard, digging dirt, throwing the hover disc, etc.). I hope that helps! Hang in! For the last 4 months, I've spent a lot of time praying for perspective. I finally have it, I think, but I know how tough it is sometimes. You'll make it, though!
Old 06-27-2004, 01:55 PM

Thank you so much for your compassion. I know that his needs do not come from mere whim but from real circumstances and deserve real attention. After I wrote my message I had adjusted better to the situation.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ann, I'm joining in late but just wanted to say that I'm glad things are going better for you . I agree that it is the age, but I also just wanted to add that I have noticed over the years that the more I get worried or uptight about something that dd is doing the more she reacts to it and it worsens.

Stepping back and looking at it from a different perspective helps a lot! (something I have to remind myself of every day)
Old 06-28-2004, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Is it just me or does anybody else believe that a forced-weaning thread does not belong at MDC? I know I have the choice to just ignore it but the thread is giving advice that could negatively affect others here at MDC.

And what is with the "Support for Gentle Weaning" thread? Nothing against Parent-Led, as long as it is gentle and respectful, but I thought we weren't allowed to have "support" threads?

Old 06-28-2004, 05:34 PM

Haven...here in my haven, sticking my head back in sand, it will all be OK, lalalalalalala........

Yes, Mother Sunshine, I feel your pain.

Anyone else feeling beyond radical these days?
Old 06-28-2004, 06:17 PM

Me!! On both questions...feeling the thread doesn't belong and feeling beyond radical.

I am really feeling and about the whole thing.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 06-29-2004, 12:41 AM

OK, I'm looking into the forced weaning thread. No more talking about it here That's against the rules. I'm :Puke about every five minutes with morning sickness. No extra work for me, OK? to you all!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 06-29-2004, 12:49 AM

Oh Amy, I feel your pain. I get deathly ill when pregnant. We're upset but we promise not to make any more work for you.

for us all!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:51 AM

Thanks. I do feel really crappy but still happy to be pg. Tandem nursing and pg. Not an easy combo. Esp when sick. This too shall pass. I promise you will be the first to know when the board issues are worked out.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:40 PM

I was just wondering if this is where we need to post for clw?

Lisa, Traditional Roman Catholic, :::: wife to Brandon, mama to Taylor 17, Tristen 13, Trinity 9, Tyme 6, Wesley Thomas 4, Teresa 3, Gabriella 2, Isabella 1., and Marisela 2/2010.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:28 PM

SunflowerMama, For now this thread is all we've got. Hopefully that will change soon though! :
Old 06-29-2004, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome SunflowerMama
Old 06-29-2004, 09:55 PM

Hi mamas...I'm wondering those of you who are pregnant or have been pregnant with a nursling how did you do it? HD and i would really like to havea nother baby now that ds is gettign a bit older (17 months :LOL at older) we'd like him to havea friend...but i know that he is no where near weaning which is totally fine i am no where near ready for him to wean but i am so scared that if i get pregnant that he will wean and then i will feel that i am shorting him...i wish i could jsut know for sure whether he would wean or not. If he was older i would worry aobut it less but to me 2 is just to young to have to wean cause the milk dried up....so how did it go for you all? thanks
Old 06-29-2004, 09:58 PM

I've done it in the past and am doing it now. It's not the easiest thing in the world but very rewarding and definately worth it. How often does he nurse? My kids don't seem to care if there is milk. Then when the baby is born and the milk comes in they're SO happy!

Old 06-29-2004, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I just started a new thread asking for everyone's opinion on a separate CLW forum....
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=162920

(Amy, if it's not okay to post this then I will remove it, but I assume since I started the new thread it would be okay...?).
Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad7+
My kids don't seem to care if there is milk. Then when the baby is born and the milk comes in they're SO happy!
Ditto!
Old 06-29-2004, 11:31 PM

Same experience here, BUT when DD got older she *did* start caring.

While pg w/DS (DD was almost two when we got pg) my milk supply plummetted but she nursed through the pg and for 18 more months. At that point she stopped being able to get milk and didn't want to nurse anymore. She has wanted to nurse since then (and I let her) but when she can't get any she immediately stops. Now, I know there is plenty there (I am still nursing DS, 2.5) but she can't get it out. So it does vary from kid to kid.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:57 AM

oh thank you all for the heartening answers i know it is no garuntee of how my son will react but i am glad to know that they dont' always quit nursing....makes me feel better about ttc. this being out one big hold up. I O anyday now and part of me can't wait t osee if i get preggo and part of me is terrified to even try.

User Tag List