This Thread is Dedicated to Child-Led Weaning Mamas! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you like a "Child-Led Weaning" Forum/Subforum?
Yes 192 82.40%
No 26 11.16%
Undecided 15 6.44%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 506 Old 09-09-2004, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome back MamaAllNatural! I missed you
#482 of 506 Old 09-09-2004, 09:32 PM

I still nurse ds to sleep for naps and for bedtime. Sometimes at bedtime he will nurse and then lie in his bed-zone and drift off to sleep, but this is very very rare!

I have found that nursing will extend his naps to 3 hours!!! Awesome for me! And I read a lot or nap myself
#483 of 506 Old 09-09-2004, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbear
out of curiosity, of all you women out there who nursed your little ones to sleep for naps and bedtime, what was the transition to falling asleep without the breast like? Did this happen at the same time as when they weaned themselves or earlier?
When DS was around 2 or so, he started taking a HUGE LONG time to nurse to sleep (like an hour or more). I admit, I was becoming frustrated about this especially given that he was still up several times a night to nurse. I gradually started to ease the way for having him go to sleep without nursing by singing to him while I nursed and then eventually taking him off the breast for the last few rousing renditions of Bah Bah Black Sheep. Eventually, I started placing him in his bed after nursing (20 minutes or so) while I sang him tol sleep. He fell asleep much more quickly this way, and since he was ammenable to making the change, it went really well. Well, after a few weeks of this, DS decided this was no longer working for him. He'd become sick with a cold and it was clear that he wanted to nurse to sleep, that not nursing to sleep was stressful sooooo... we went back to nursing to sleep, and because it was clear he wasn't ready, I just decided to ease up on my frustrations and embrace the fact that he'll only be this little once., etc. No worries.

Flashforward to 2 1/2: After several months of having gone back to nursing to sleep, DS up and decides one night that he wishes to make a change, nurses for ten or so minutes, hops off my lap and into bed. He then asks for me to sing BAH BAH a couple of times and then (!!!!!), tells me to leave the room, that he's ready to go to sleep now. You know what? I was actually sad and dissappointed, I had rather gotten used to our return to NTS. *sigh* The irony.

As it turns out, DS gave up naps shorty after that and we went back to nursing to sleep for awhile--a couple of months. And then again, one night he hops off my lap, jumps into bed and again, tells me to leave ("Go out to kitchen") when he's had enough of my singing. Anyway, anymore he nurses for like 5 seconds each breast, before jumping into bed. Nighttime is just so VERY DIFFERENT than it once was. In the end, it was HIM who made the call and I couldn't be happier about it. Up until a few weeks ago, we were down to just that few seconds of nursing in the eve but he's been rather "growth spurty" lately and has been asking during the day more and has occasionally been up at night to nurse. He's 3 and 9 months.

*sigh* It's bittersweet really. In some ways, bedtime is quick, easy and even fun--before bedtime talks can be so very warm and fuzzy, but I do very much miss those last moments of holding him in the day, snoring, drool sliding down my stomach into my pants. I miss taking him off the breast and just looking at him in my arms, sleeping soundly, peacefully. Now, I've made a habit of reentering DS's room after he's fallen off to sleep. I just MUST see him sleeping every day. I sit by his bed, kiss his head, his fingers and nuzzle his cheek. *sigh* I get mushy just thinking about it! Can't wait until later tonight when I can do just that!

Sorry for the novel. I haven't posted to thread in ages! I'm so glad it's here.

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#484 of 506 Old 09-09-2004, 10:57 PM

Question for those mommas who didn't night wean:
At what age did your child go 4-5 hours consistently?

I would really like that chunk o sleep, but don't have a reason to night wean and so am avoiding it at this point. I night weaned DD (to 4-5 hours) at 24-25 months. DS is now 3. I was thinking I might try something at 4 if he is still doing the every 1-2 hours through the night thing (esp if he is still wanting to nurse 20+minutes each time!).

So, is there hope for me still (that he will get up to 4-5 hours in the next year)?

#485 of 506 Old 09-09-2004, 10:59 PM

Oh, regarding the nursing to sleep.

Both my kids nursed to sleep for naps until they gave them up.

DD nursed to sleep basically nightly until 4, then sporadically for the next couple months.

DS still nurses to sleep most nights. He actually could have DH put him to sleep when he was younger (mostly because that was DDs special nursing time). Now that he is the only nursling, though, he goes to sleep nursing most nights. There are many more exceptions with him than there every were w/DD, though.

#486 of 506 Old 09-10-2004, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings
Then it became nursing them until they were sleepy, then they'd crawl into their beds. Eventually we got to the point where I could nurse them downstairs and they'd walk themselves upstairs and put themselves to bed, if needed
This is where my 3 1/2 yo is. It's just kind of happened gradually. I can't always lay there and nurse her for 20 min. straight with a baby who is also demanding my time and running around getting into things. She did it mostly on her own but also sometimes I'd say, "Ok, we can nurse for a few minutes and then I have to go do the dishes (or whatever)." She does nurse once at night still.

Tired, my 3.5 started going 4-5 hour stretches closer to 3 yo. When I had the baby she was 2.5 and I remember her waking up to nurse more often than him. :LOL He's 12 months now and sometimes goes 6 hours, sometimes only 2 or 3.

Thanks for all the Welcome Backs. It is good to be back. You guys are so wonderful.

Oh, and Gab'sfamily, I agree, your post really doesn't belong on a child led weaning thread. All of the mamas here believe that the child should wean when they are truly ready. Also, please be aware that the World Health Organization recommends a minimum of 2 years of breastfeeding before weaning.
#487 of 506 Old 09-10-2004, 12:49 AM

Another note regarding nursing to sleep, my 3 yo doesn't take naps usually but if she does she almost always nurses to sleep. It's probably because she only takes a nap if she's very, very tired so it doesn't take much nursing for her to fall asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot
Ben says he's never going to wean and Ellie now says she will wean when she's 20
Am I the only one who always wishes I could meet these sweet little nurslings? :LOL Of course I wish I could meet all the mamas too.
#488 of 506 Old 09-10-2004, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Oh, and Gab'sfamily, I agree, your post really doesn't belong on a child led weaning thread. All of the mamas here believe that the child should wean when they are truly ready. Also, please be aware that the World Health Organization recommends a minimum of 2 years of breastfeeding before weaning.
...and it's not too late to relactate if you want to continue breastfeeding, Gab'sfamily!

The health benefits of long-term breastfeeding are incredible for both you and your baby. A child's immunity doesn't fully mature until they are between 4 and 7 years old (closer to 7, I think) which is why it is natural for children to nurse well into their toddler and/or preschool years and beyond. Breastmilk is loaded with immunities for your child, keeping him healthy; breastfed babies rarely get sick. This is especially great for children who go to school early, where illnesses can be shared.

For Mom, breastfeeding can help to reduce the chance of breast cancer and osteoporosis. If fills your body with prolactin, which relaxes you - not just great for mothering kiddos, but also for reducing stress, which can be toxic.

Anyway, from what you put in your post, it sounds like your dc could have continued nursing, but was dissuaded by you. I don't think that a compliant child always equals a ready child. Maybe he wasn't really ready to wean, but complied to your weaning him bc of his nature.
#489 of 506 Old 09-10-2004, 10:39 AM

I definitely think before 2 is too early. My dd weaned at 20 months and I was sad (and a tiny bit relieved because I was preggers again and had that nails on the chalkboard feeling that I'm sure would have let up if she had hung on a little longer). I do think she weaned earlier than she would have if we wouldn't have had 5 hour separations a few days a week when I was working, and the pregnancy may have affected my milk supply, I dunno.

Ds is 16mo and still nurses to sleep/nap 90% of the time. The exception is in the car or if he just feels particularly cuddly with dh. I will be surprised if he weans before three, so I may yet tandem nurse if dh is willing to TTC next summer like I'm hoping.
#490 of 506 Old 09-10-2004, 09:57 PM

Ok, another first for us last night. After DS did his ten second nursing and jumped into bed, I sang him a song or two and then he said, "I want Daddy to tuck me in and stay with me while I go to sleep."

I'm thinking it might just be like momof3nurslings mentioned about nursing DS in the living room and then sending him off to bed... with Daddy... man, how the times are a changin' 'round here. *sigh*

Someone asked about the first 4-5 hour stretch. Um, it really went back and forth with us. Slept upwards of 10 hours at 6-9 months (didn't know how good I had it and took it for granted like no other!), and then anywhere from 2 to 8 hour stretches then on until 2 1/2. Illness, teething... until all those teeth were in there was rarely sleeping through the night, and at best one to two wake ups. Typically three or four. Once all those were in however, everything changed, practically overnight.

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#491 of 506 Old 09-11-2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
Question for those mommas who didn't night wean:
At what age did your child go 4-5 hours consistently?
Oh I know the one to two hour thing all so well. DS started his first 4 hour interval at 26 months. But it varied between 3 and 4 hours on an irregular basis for at leasat 6 months after that. If all was well, he became more consistent with one 3 or 4 hour interval somewhere between 32 and 38 months; however this was accompanied by successively shorter intervals from then until morning (becoming shorter than 1 hour). Now at 39 months he will have two 4 hour intervals pretty regularly. I did start releasing him from my breast after about a 10 minutes latch during night nursing (a loose practice of what Elizabeth Pantley outlines in her book The No Cry Sleep Solution). I found that less than this was not tolerated by him and more than this he was committed to a long term latch. This was his only "practice" at falling alseep when still not fully asleep. This did not work when first nursing to sleep. Though I do think that doing this eventually helped him link two two hour intervals into a four hour one.

Good Luck and Sweet Dreams to you.
#492 of 506 Old 09-11-2004, 04:00 PM

Just an update:

DS went from 11pm-2:30am last night The night before I got up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep so I was exhausted!

#493 of 506 Old 09-11-2004, 05:29 PM

Let's see, ds nursed to sleep for naps as long as he took them. He was probably about 4 when he started to roll over (after nursing) and go to sleep at bedtime. I must say, I am going to have trouble going to sleep when he weans! We co-sleep and if I get up again after ds nurses and falls asleep, I have a hard time going to sleep - lol!

I don't remember if we ever got to the 4 or 5 hours stretch of sleep. I was sleep-deprived for so long, and then suddenly ds started sleeping through the night at 2.5!
#494 of 506 Old 09-11-2004, 11:43 PM

Thursday night, BeanBean woke up twice to nurse; he did it Friday night, too. It's the first time in a while, but I guess he's not entirely finished night nursing, or else now that he's potty learned and waking up at night (he won't pee in his sleep) he needs some nursies to get back to sleep.

Both of my kids slept for four hours very early on; BooBah has been doing it for at least a month, and BeanBean first did in the NICU; he was only there for a week, so it must have been around then. I think it's because I'm one of those women with an overwhelming storage capacity. When my kids nurse, they fill up for a while. In fact, BeanBean only nursed every 3 hours or so from the beginning, except for growth spurts. Since BooBah doesn't have to work to bring more milk in (her brother does that) she doesn't have to nurse more frequently when she has growth spurts, she just drinks more and BeanBean does the work of bringing more in. She spent her first night of life on the breast except for a grand total of about 35 minutes (not consecutive) when I went to the bathroom and got up and such. Her first few days she nursed more often, but once the milk came in it was every 3 or 4 hours.

Every time I nurse my BeanBean, I wonder how people can wean children his age. He's still such a little person, and he's so happy with his nursies. I can't imagine trying it... I mean, asking him to wait for a few minutes is a huge tragedy, more often than not. I can't imagine telling him he couldn't nurse at all, or trying to distract him. It just doesn't seem logical or reasonable to me. Of course, I may be able to understand it when he's a bit older (I doubt it), but right now I just can't see the point. I'm 100% certain that any attempt to wean would be much more stressful for the entire family than letting him nurse.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#495 of 506 Old 09-19-2004, 11:51 AM

Hi Mamas, I need some support. Maybe that's not even the right word. I have an acquaintance that just weaned her 1 year old and is now worried that the baby doesn't eat enough. It just makes me so sad. My little one is almost 5 and those night time nursings are still soooo important to him. And I know I'm still producing milk (not only can I tell, but he tells me!). Even though this thread has not seen much activity lately, I'm really glad its here!
#496 of 506 Old 09-19-2004, 02:20 PM

My little guy is about the same age and I just cannot imagine weaning him. The first year I feel is just getting started still. Poor little baby.

If the mom is concerned about his eating what do you think she'd say if you reminded her that it might be "safest" to start nursing him again. Is she against formula? Maybe you could suggest she nurse him again so he doesn't have to get on formula? Just an idea.

For me it is such a comfort to know that, no matter what, at least they'll have breastmilk. It's the only thing they can have when they're sick. My first weaned really young and it scared me to not have that option. It also made me sad. I can't imagine doing it purposely.

Does she know you're nursing your 5 yo? Would she be open to hearing the WHO recommendation?

That must be sad to see.
#497 of 506 Old 09-19-2004, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

That's hard. You want so badly for them to understand how important it is to continue, but you don't want to be too pushy. I just had a friend wean her 1 year old too and I felt so helpless. I encouraged her by emailing her the WHO recommendations and a supportive link, and told her that we went the childled route and it was worth the World. But she hasn't talked about it since.

She's the mother, there isn't much we can do except share our experience and bf philosophy, let her know that it is humanly normal and natural to keep nursing, and hope she takes the advice for the good of her child. Unfortunately too many people are caught up in "what will people think" or "that's not what everyone else does" or "I've done enough" and it all overshadows the child's needs and wants...
#498 of 506 Old 09-19-2004, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemama
Hi Mamas, I need some support. Maybe that's not even the right word. I have an acquaintance that just weaned her 1 year old and is now worried that the baby doesn't eat enough. It just makes me so sad. My little one is almost 5 and those night time nursings are still soooo important to him. And I know I'm still producing milk (not only can I tell, but he tells me!). Even though this thread has not seen much activity lately, I'm really glad its here!
and ditto to what MAN and Michelle said.

It is discouraging though, isn't it? Chin up!
#499 of 506 Old 09-20-2004, 12:35 AM

also ditto MAN and Michelle!
#500 of 506 Old 09-20-2004, 01:45 AM

That is so hard, and something I have been faced with OVER and OVER.

I would consider suggeting relactation ONCE and then never mentioning it again. If she complains about DCs eating habits, etc, just try (in your mind) to consider helping her to solve the problem not thinking about the cause of that problem.

I remember when DD was not yet two having a friend who's son only ate pretzels & marshmellows for a couple weeks. Don't get me started on "how did the kid think that was food?" but it made me so releaved and happy to know that if DD (and then DS) didn't eat *anything* they were still getting exactly what they needed from nursing.

#501 of 506 Old 09-20-2004, 01:50 AM

Yup! bc, you know what, TiredX2? My ds lives on pretzels and breastmilk! :LOL

(and I totally ditto your post, as well. I guess I'm being lazy today, just dittoing everyone else...)
#502 of 506 Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 AM

Ditto for me too

That is really hard, though. A friend/ neighbor just weaned her 1 y/o so she could get pregnant. She got pregnant the following month or two and is now convinced it was the weaning that did it.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#503 of 506 Old 09-20-2004, 10:30 AM

Thanks Mamas. I came soooo close to mentioning that she could start nursing again, but she's pretty knowledgeable and was/is considering applying as a LLL leader, so I bit my tongue. Back when I was attending LLL, there were a few mamas that cut 'em off right at the one year mark (the babies, not the boobs ).
#504 of 506 Old 09-21-2004, 07:29 PM

There is a woman in my town who would like her baby to receive breastmilk and because of her own medical condition she is unable to provide it. I know there are sources to pay for breastmilk but the cost is quite limiting to her.

So I thought I would ask if anyone out there with a relatively young nursling would consider donating milk or if anyone has more milk than they could use stored up (I thought I read a thread recently about too much stored milk).
#505 of 506 Old 09-21-2004, 10:53 PM

I'd love to help, but I have no freezer at all. Loads of milk, though, and a very young nursling. Good luck.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#506 of 506 Old 10-11-2004, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mamas, a fresh new thread has been posted. Hope you all can make it.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...37018&posted=1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page