This Thread is Dedicated to Child-Led Weaning Mamas! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you like a "Child-Led Weaning" Forum/Subforum?
Yes 192 82.40%
No 26 11.16%
Undecided 15 6.44%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a respectful thread for those who are practicing, or those who wish to learn more about, Child-Led Weaning. It is in no way a flame on those who are not CLW. If you are CLW, or thinking about it, please feel free to vote and join in on the discussion!

And please sign the petition.....
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=1613805

I know there are other mothers here who are dedicated to (or at least interested in) letting their child wean on their own time (aka Child-Led Weaning), I'm just wondering how many. Your child doesn't have to be a certain age for you to be practicing child-led weaning, so anyone is welcome! And those who haven't yet decided (or who are open to having their minds changed) are welcomed with open arms as well.

I am noticing that an additional more specific CLW forum is needed. It wouldn't mean that anyone has to choose between the two, we can all still visit both forums just like we do other forums here at MDC.

#2 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 03:38 PM

Yes, yes I would.

: )
#3 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 03:56 PM

Yes!
#4 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 04:00 PM

I'd contribute to it
#5 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 04:04 PM

Sounds good to me!
#6 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 04:15 PM

Thanks Mother Sunshine. Definately yes! It is a totally different thing that we're doing. I think there really needs to be a separate forum. It seems us Child led weaners keep trying to seek eachother out on here but it's hard. We really would benefit from our own separate forum.
#7 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd like to see it as a subform here in EB.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 06:43 PM

Yes yes yes!!!!

#9 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 07:03 PM

Count me in!
#10 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 07:19 PM

I think it's a good idea, because a lot of people want to come into the extended (soon to be sustained! where's the 'crossing my fingers' smilie?) breastfeeding forum because they're planning CLW, but their child isn't 1 yet. Also, not everyone in the extended (sustained!! hee hee) forum IS planning CLW -- some of them are just planning parent-led weaning at a greater age than 12 mos. So there should be a separate CLW forum.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#11 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 09:51 PM

I think this is a great idea, I'd love to see it.. SBFMommy: the crossing fingers smiley is here ---> : And I think that CLW should be a subforum of 'Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy'. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#12 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 10:01 PM

Count me in--doing child led weaning with child #3 .

::
momma to 4
#13 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 10:05 PM

Yes! I would love it!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#14 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 10:15 PM

Yes please!
#15 of 506 Old 04-30-2004, 10:28 PM

Oh wow, I didn't know there really was one -- I was just kidding! : Thanks!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#16 of 506 Old 05-01-2004, 03:16 AM

i think it would be great to have it as a sub-forum of the extended breastfeeding forum.

great idea!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#17 of 506 Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes! There are some very different issues when you are practicing child-led weaning. Not that I still wouldn't contribute to the regular EN board but I would love to be able to talk with a group of women who are practicing child-led weaning as I am.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#18 of 506 Old 05-02-2004, 07:03 PM

I am hoping that some of the mamas who voted "no" would mind saying why. I know debates can get nasty sometimes but lets just keep it as friendly and straightforward as possible.

The reason I say this is because at first I wasn't sure if I'd want a separate forum. My reason was that I was worried that maybe some mamas who were "extended": breastfeeding and didn't know about Child led Weaning wouldn't be exposed to it and have the opportunity to learn about it and the mamas who "practice" it. Then I realized that everytime they did the "forum jump" to "Extended" Breastfeeding they would see that Child Led Weaning Forum and be free to lurk or ask questions and decide if that is what's right for them. I was also worried that the CLWers wouldn't be on the EB forum as much and there would be less advice that might be needed. However, I know that I, and probably many others, would still visit the EB forum for things like this anyway. So, I hope I'm making sense and I hope those who voted "no" will state their reason so we can explore all the possibilties of this.
#19 of 506 Old 05-03-2004, 10:44 AM

I voted yes, but will expand on one of my reasons too. I'm nursing a 4 year old, make that 4 1/2 this month! Even here on MDC, that is pushing the envelope for some people! The support of like-minded mamas is much appreciated
#20 of 506 Old 05-03-2004, 11:28 AM

hey callmemama, my ds is OVER 4 1/2!! Welcome to my world!

Great idea for a new forum!
#21 of 506 Old 05-03-2004, 06:44 PM

Is that support thread still alive for mamas nursing babies age 3 and up?

#22 of 506 Old 05-03-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBF
I thought I saw it recently...

T SBF am I crazy or did you just change your user name?
#23 of 506 Old 05-03-2004, 10:39 PM

T too...

You're not crazy Adrianne! I didn't notice until you pointed it out though. SBF, why no "mommy" anymore?
#24 of 506 Old 05-03-2004, 10:54 PM

I know this might hit a few nerves, but what about a more all encompassing "weaning" sight (or "child led and gentle weaning"). I can see situations where the child is much older than "typical" nursers (preschool age) and the mom is just worn out and wants to set some boundries and wants a gentle approach. There are also situations that have happened to mama's on this site on where they are forced to wean due to medical concerns (like chemo) and need help doing it as gently as possible.

You could set forth some guidelines in the heading that the focus is on child led weaning to redirect any trolls.

Just an idea. I am pro-CLW btw. This week has really tested my commitment to it, but I am still thankful that there is a place to go where I can vent without all the "time to wean" advice.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#25 of 506 Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 PM

I would love to have one!! I didn't let my dd wean herself but weaned her when she was 3 and a few months. I feel that was a big mistake and my ds will wean himself (he'll be 3 in July and still nurses A LOT!).

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#26 of 506 Old 05-03-2004, 11:33 PM

Oooh, I'd love to see a weaning forum. I think Jennifer Z has a good point about making it a "child-led and gentle weaning" forum.

In either case, my dd's 2nd birthday is rapidly approaching and I find myself the same as I was at her 6 month and 1 year days: I can't imagine stopping since she still wants/needs it. Wow!

That said, I know weaning will happen someday, and I wouldn't mind a forum where I could get info about it. Even if it's just moms who post how they weaned/how their children self-weaned, I think we all benefit from hearing personal stories.

Loon

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#27 of 506 Old 05-03-2004, 11:54 PM

I think the whole point of having a separate forum for Child Led Weaning is because we do not want to wean and many CLWing Mamas have expressed sadness and frustration at having to read all the weaning requests and stories. The main idea is to be with other mamas who will not be weaning their child. Child Led Weaning does not go hand in hand with any other type of weaning really. They're really two different philosophies and that's what we already have in this forum as it is. That's the reason for wanting a new, separate one for CLW.
#28 of 506 Old 05-04-2004, 12:34 AM

OK, another twist:

this might be stretching it, but maybe a weaning subforum would keep the want to wean and weaning threads off of the extended breastfeeding area so the CLW mamas wouldn't be confronted with those threads if they don't want to. Sort of a reverse philosophy of adding a CLW. Maybe it would be assumed that the Extended Breastfeeding meant you are still breastfeeding with the understanding that it is child lead, but when you get to the weaning stages you go into the subforum for weaning.

I know this is opposite of the original proposal, but I just wonder if it is logical to seperate the CWL mamas out since most of us ARE CLW. If the purpose is to not have to sort through the weaning threads, maybe those would be better for a seperate forum.

This would make the "Child lead weaning" the norm and "weaning" more of a diversion from the norm...well, that isn't coming out quite right, but I hope you understand what I am meaning...maybe somebody else can put it better.

Maybe a good comparision is if we had the "Diapering" forum, and then "Cloth Diapering" was a subforum. It would indicate that CDing was the minority belief instead of the majority belief of the site.

Food for thought. I am really NOT trying to be arguementative, just got my brain going. lol.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#29 of 506 Old 05-04-2004, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBF
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9&page=1&pp=20
-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural
I think the whole point of having a separate forum for Child Led Weaning is because we do not want to wean and many CLWing Mamas have expressed sadness and frustration at having to read all the weaning requests and stories. The main idea is to be with other mamas who will not be weaning their child. Child Led Weaning does not go hand in hand with any other type of weaning really. They're really two different philosophies and that's what we already have in this forum as it is. That's the reason for wanting a new, separate one for CLW.

I thought there already was a weaning forum.......or maybe I'm thinking of another website? Anyway, maybe someone who is interested in weaning issues/advice should start a separate thread asking for a weaning forum. But, like MamaAllNatural said, Child-Led Weaning and any kind of mother-led weaning (be it gentle, abrupt, or forced) are two completely different concepts.

This thread's focus is on Child-led Weaning. You don't have to agree or disagree with it, so please don't see this as a "either you're in or you're out" kind of thread/poll. The EB forum will surely not be replaced by it. If this forum's name ever does change, it surely won't be "Child-Led Weaning" because then where would everyone else go. And most of us who do practice CLW will surely still post on EB (or whatever the name will hopefully become). I am just hoping to have a forum where those of us who are CLW can freely and open-heartedly post with other like-minded mamas and not get drowned-out by (and sometimes saddened by) the posts who are more mother-led focused.
#30 of 506 Old 05-04-2004, 02:06 AM

In light of a very saddening thread I just read in which a poster sees what we're doing as worrisome, I feel even more strongly that we need a separate Child Led Weaning forum. I want to walk away feeling stronger and supported, not feeling hurt and frustrated (or worried about the law!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page