3 wo significantly shorter feeding time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-15-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3 wo significantly shorter feeding time

So I have been dealing with oversupply and over active letdown with fore/hindmilk imbalance ever since my milk came in. My son usually never fills up and wants to nurse constantly and for comfort, taking up to an hour and then wanting more. Screaming at the breast and crying constantly.

However, my LC has suggested doing a block feed and I finally started today. I've noticed that my son is eating for way shorter intervals, maybe 15 minutes and getting full and not taking the breast. Usually he wants both and will nurse and nurse and nurse.

Is this normal? Ok? Is he getting the fat he needs?

My LC said doing one block over 4 hours, so feed 1 & 2 from the L breast, & feed 3 & 4 from the R breast. Once that is over do I continue to offer just one breast at a time or continue to block?

Sorry in advance for all the questions! Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like the block feeding worked! 15 minute-and-full feeds for a 3 week old is really good I think, I'm sure my DD was having 45-minute feeds for MONTHS after she was born... but we did block feeding too. I wasn't advised by anybody on the subject so this is only my experience of it, but what I did was feed her on one side twice, and then the next time I would - there's no other way to say this - squeeze a drop out of that same breast and if the milk looked very white and thick, I would feed her on that side another time. If it looked thin and translucent I'd check the other boob and then that one was always thicker, so I changed sides. Does that make sense? It's just a method I sort of made up so I don't know how scientifically/nutritionally sound it is, but it worked for us.

Oh, and yes, we did block feeding all the time... not just for some of the day. As I understand it, block feeding works best if you basically just make it your entire way of feeding. But I don't know if that's really what most other people do, actually! I'd say keep doing what you're doing though, if your LO is feeding for shorter bursts and is acting more settled and full, that's got to be a good thing!
#3 of 3 Old 06-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonelfields View Post
So I have been dealing with oversupply and over active letdown with fore/hindmilk imbalance ever since my milk came in. My son usually never fills up and wants to nurse constantly and for comfort, taking up to an hour and then wanting more. Screaming at the breast and crying constantly.

However, my LC has suggested doing a block feed and I finally started today. I've noticed that my son is eating for way shorter intervals, maybe 15 minutes and getting full and not taking the breast. Usually he wants both and will nurse and nurse and nurse.

Is this normal? Ok? Is he getting the fat he needs?

My LC said doing one block over 4 hours, so feed 1 & 2 from the L breast, & feed 3 & 4 from the R breast. Once that is over do I continue to offer just one breast at a time or continue to block?

Sorry in advance for all the questions! Thanks for listening
Eventually as supply evens out and things get more relaxed you may move on to just offering whichever breast is most convenient to the way you're sitting with him at the moment, favoring the one that's fullest if you notice one or the other is getting very full. If he's going an hour or more after the feeding without getting hungry he's definitely filling up properly, fats and all.

Tags
fore/hindmilk imbalance , overactive letdown , oversupply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page