IBCLC + CLC {Looking for information} - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IBCLC + CLC {Looking for information}

Hi! I am researching becoming certified as a lactation consultant, either an IBCLC or a CLC. I do not have a two or four year degree (I know a lot of LCs have medical degrees); is just having the LC certification enough to be hired by a hospital/clinic/doctors office/etc? (I'm looking for employment somewhere that will provide health insurance because my state has really lousy health insurance when you have to buy it separately, so I'm not crazy about the idea of having my own private practice.)

Also, which certification would be better, IBCLC or CLC? I initially thought IBCLC because it was a 'higher' qualification, but I recently spoke with someone who told me hospitals only hire 1-2 IBCLCs but many CLCs. Does anyone know and would be willing to share what the pay difference is? Would hospital/clinic/doctors office/etc be more likely to hire a non(-medical) degree CLC than IBCLC since the CLC works under the IBCLC?

If anyone has information specific to Central Florida, I would be incredibly grateful for that as well.

Thank you all so much!

User Tag List