Is this nipple "soreness" ever going to stop?!? (pg and EBF) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone mentioned that there was a forum around here specifically for support for pregnant nursing mamas, but I can't find it, so someone feel free to redirect me if there's a better place for this . . .

I'm almost 19 wks pg, nursing my 2.5 yo ds 3 times a day (wake-up, nap, bedtime). When he latches on, it is STILL excrutiating. I feel like I am being attacked by a shark every time he latches on! It's all I can do to not cry out. I gasp, dig my nails into my arm, pull the hair at the base of my neck, all to keep from pulling away or vocalizing. I go numb after about 1 minute, but afterward, I have rings of teeth marks around my areola. (but still the pain is only during that initial latch-on and warm-up)

Is this going to subside or is this my existence from now until baby #2 arrives? I am definitely prone to soreness . . . had horrible soreness for the first 6 wks post-partum, then when AF returned at 5 mos, had LOTS of pain with ovulation every month, like clockwork. We have been checked NUMEROUS times by lactation consultants, and there's no thrush or problem with the latch. So I'm farly certain it's just hormonal.

Is there any hope? (BTW, can't talk to ds about it any more -- he tries to be gentle, tries not to use his teeth, opens wide, etc, etc) Is there anything I can do?!?

Committed, but sore,
Breathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 AM

Well, I have some good news and some bad news...

I get really sore nipples when I'm pregnant too but that pregnant and nursing sore is the most sore and tender my nipples have ever been, ever. So, this is very common and you will find a lot of mamas here who can empathize. I can say that it goes away after the baby is born though. Also, you get (at least I did) that normal newborn hormonal nipple soreness but after the pregnancy one it's nothin'. It didn't bother me at all because I had something worse to compare it to. I hope this isn't too discouraging. Just know that it will end when you have the baby. Just give your nipples all the fresh air they can get and good for you for being willing to continue nursing. It is so worth it.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:43 AM

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and still having the nipple soreness, much more excrutiating on one side than the other. DS just turned three last month and has thankfully reduced nursing sessions to 1-3 times a day earlier in the pregnancy. I was hoping that the soreness would end after the first trimester, but no such luck.

When I've had enough, I count to three and tell him that we're all done nursing. I tell him to say ahh and open wide to unlatch, then praise him for doing such a good job. It's worked great for us.

He's being so cute about it though, I can't help but feel better. The most painful time is during latch-on. When it hurts really bad, I'll say, "Ow, ow! Mama's nurses hurts." He looks up at me so tenderly, makes a kissing noise, and then asks if it's all better. I guess that makes the pain more tolerable.

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Old 05-06-2004, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the empathy, Mamas. I thought this was going to get better after the first trimester, but I actually believe it is getting worse. Ah well. What can I do?

MamaAcorn, I also do the counting thing and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it works.

I would never consider weaning during this challenging transition -- esp when ds looks at me about 6 times a day and says, in his most loving and tender baby voice, "Mommy, I LOVE your milk!"

OT: MamaAcorn, I'm in Durham too . . . is it possible we've not met each other?!? Our boys are only a few months apart, and our due dates are so close, too! Any chance our paths have crossed at LLL? Wouldn't that be funny if we knew each other?!? (I'm Eleanor, my son is Max)
Old 05-06-2004, 03:30 PM

You guys sound like such caring mothers with the sweetest, most empathetic children. Yep, you two should definatley be friends!:LOL I just wanted to say that I've been tandeming for 8 1/2 months now and it is so great for them. It's a little more work in the beginning (the older one needs to nurse a lot) but once you get past that it gets easier and you see how much the older one still needs it and how much it means to them. Your children will thank you.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:31 PM

I'm not sure if we've met or not. I'm horrible at remembering names. I've been to a few LLL meetings in Durham and a couple of API meetings in Chapel Hill. I work from home 6 days a week, so making it out of the house can be challenging at times. I'm Pam. My son is Alex. Do our names sound at all familiar to you? I'd love to get to know you guys better especially since our little ones are pretty close in age.

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Old 05-08-2004, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Pam, I'll PM you in a few minutes!

User Tag List