Seeking support, tender nipples with 20mo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seeking support, tender nipples with 20mo

I'm currently nursing my 20mo DD (actually 21 months this weekend!), about 2-3 times/day. My older DD self-weaned at 17 months, so this is my first time going this long. Over the past 2 days I have developed very tender, sensitive nipples. No breast tenderness, just localized on the nipples. I'm on day 15 of my cycle (meaning my period started 2 weeks ago). She doesn't bite or pull. Anyone have advice for what this could be? Pregnancy? Would I have a symptom this early ( I would have only conceived in the past 3-4 days I'm assuming)?
New to the forum so I apologize for my long-windedness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-19-2014, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, welcome! Strangely enough there was a time a few months back when I suddenly got sore nipples. My daughter was, oh, 11 months or something, and obviously we'd been nursing pain-free for a long time by then, so it was odd and I did wonder if I was pregnant - but nope. So it doesn't necessarily mean that and if you aren't due your period for a while I'd say it's unlikely. One possibility is thrush - do you have any redness or burning? If not, it's probably just a random hormonal thing, maybe to do with ovulation. If it gets worse after a few days maybe it is thrush or something else, though, so keep an eye on it (I know it's impossible not to when nursing several times a day and it's painful! Ouch!).

Edit: Actually I forgot to ask, have you been trying to get pregnant? Because if you have maybe it is more of a possibility. I got nipple soreness like that around when implantation happened - it was like a week too soon for my period and then it went away, too. So if you have been trying maybe it's possible, some women do have very early symptoms. I did.

Last edited by flyagaric; 06-19-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Tags
20mo , Breastfeeding , nipples , Pregnancy , tenderness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page