public nursing (distracted baby) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
public nursing (distracted baby)

I am usually home with 7mo DD (literally, we stay home most days as we're new to the area, it's humid right now, and I'm a homebody anyway). So letting DD essentially graze all day at the breast doesn't bother me.

But every now and again we have all day outings (with DH) and it is frustrating to try to make sure she is eating enough while we're out. When she was younger, I had gotten the hang of nursing in public, no cumbersome cover, just latch and carry on. But that was short-lived.

Now, everything is interesting to her, and she has even taken to standing up (a newly acquired skill) while nursing, or just grabbing a suckle or two and being done for a minute, but then coming right back looking for more. Needless to say this is not conducive to public nursing.

She doesn't tolerate any cover over her face (I wouldn't either), so I can't use that to keep distractions down.

On our last outing, I tried to retreat to the car to nurse, but then everything in the car was interesting to her (front and back seat).

Next week we are flying transatlantic and I'm wondering how to make sure she eats enough.

She does nurse to sleep often, but when we're out and about, she also doesn't want to nap, either. So that's another concern of mine for the trip.

Advice? Thoughts?

hippie.gifHappily married to Alexstillheart.gif

SAHM to Maya, born 11/25/13 homebirth.jpg

Pet parents to dog2.gifdog2.gif

familybed1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.gifecbaby.gifslinggirl.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm sorry you havent't gotten any responses yet. I flew with my 6 month old and he nursed fine and slept a little bit on the plane but he wasn't quite as distracted as your baby sounds. My DS slept in the Ergo some of the time. I hope you get some useful advice. I am bumping this up for more attention.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's (unfortunately) just pretty normal...it took me a long time to get "ok" with the idea that she was going to pop off frequently. Nursing tanks or camis under a t-shirt helps because you can pull the shirt down quickly when she does pop off. It's just instinct to me now, she unlatches, I pull my shirt down quickly, no one sees a thing.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

User Tag List