2 week old is killing my nipples! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 of 20 Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2 week old is killing my nipples!

My son is 2 weeks today, and I feel like my nipples are going to fall off! We saw a LC on days 2, 4, 5, 8, and we'll see someone again tomorrow, but everyone (LC, pediatrician, nurses) says he has a great latch and the pain should get better.
One side has scabbed over almost half the nipple, it peels off about once a day, and it's excruciating to latch baby on. Oddly, this side produces a lot when I pump, and that isn't unbearable. The other side has kind of a ridge where the skin keeps peeling, but it's not as painful to nurse on- but when I pump I barely get anything :-/ (hoping that this is only because he's nursing and hopefully emptying that side!)
The pediatrician said he might have a "bit of a short" tongue, but the LC said he's fine, his tongue extends all the way out.
Any help?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 07-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Been there. For me that was normal with three babies. It did get better. I did try Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple balm with my 3rd, and it didn't solve all of my problems, but it was a slight comfort. I really believe that my babies were well latched, and that it just took a bit of time for that pain to go away. You could ask about yeast.

Sorry! I hope you can find some strategies or solutions.
#3 of 20 Old 07-01-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
Been there. For me that was normal with three babies. It did get better. I did try Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple balm with my 3rd, and it didn't solve all of my problems, but it was a slight comfort. I really believe that my babies were well latched, and that it just took a bit of time for that pain to go away. You could ask about yeast.

Sorry! I hope you can find some strategies or solutions.
Yikes I can't imagine doing this three times! But I couldn't breastfeed my first- we only made it 6 days and he got dehydrated, wasn't latching well, etc and had to have formula for medical reasons- so I'm not giving up on this one! It's only gotten worse since like day 8 so I'm not optimistic that the issue will correct itself :-/
#4 of 20 Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Perhaps tongue tie or lip tie......

http://theleakyboob.com/2012/11/the-...and-treatment/

Congratulations on your baby's birth, I hope breastfeeding becomes easier for you soon.
#5 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Are you seeing the same LC or a different one each time? Maybe a second opinion would help. Have you tried La Leche League? That might help too. Rubbing breast milk into the nipple before and after nursing can help with healing. They also have these gel pads you can put on to help healing and pain. I had nipple pain while nursing and it got better after 1 month and totally went away after 2 months. I couldn't say exactly what caused it. His latch seemed good too. But my point is it can get better with time so if you want to breastfeed, don't give up!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 20 Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before assuming it's normal pain that will get better... its not you need to find an EXPERT trained specifically in finding posterior (hidden or submucosal) tongue ties and lip ties! Please visit the Facebook group Tongue tie babies support group!
You're doctor or ibclc may not be an expert in detecting ties and often they go undiagnosed. This is something I've struggles with with 2 children andmy doctors all said the kids had no ties. The group is full of trained ibclcs and has lays off symptoms and tells you how to check yourself also provides a list of trained experts near you. Most providers will be able to diagnose by email if you send a photo just ask the moms on there what to check for and who to contact!
Feel free to message me I'm not a trained provider or anything but I've done now research and experienced my fair share of problems with doctors that claim to know what is and is not the problem and turns out they were wrong!
#7 of 20 Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 AM

Sorry if my post seems jumbled I'm on my phone and outs acting weird. You can pm me and one I get to a computer I can get you more information. It doesn't hurt to rule out ties by asking someone who is specially trained at finding them or other moms who have fought to breastfeed when no doctors would admit they did not know what was wrong
Short tongue isn't really a thing. The tie could be like my sons where his tongue extended but the back was tethered to the bottom of his mouth. Very hard to see the tie but I could feel it and he had a beautiful latch but on the inside the tongue could not lift up in the back only go in and out of his mouth
#8 of 20 Old 07-04-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

We've seen two LCs, one of whom apparently used to work as some kind of speech/oral therapist, so one ped that we saw was of the opinion that her evaluation (everything is fine) was most accurate. I don't know what her qualifications are though.
I've been pumping and trying to still nurse baby on the one bearable side, and leaving milk on and air drying afterward. The one side that was really torn up is healing, but I'm worried as soon as he latches on again that it'll get worse.
We are also feeding almost exclusively formula, because baby was still 6.5 ounces under his birth weight at his 2 week checkup, and the ped wanted him supplemented. With the latch issues, and the fact that baby demands 2-3 ounces per feeding, I'm only getting 1-2 ounces reliably when I pump.
The whole thing sucks and I don't have anywhere locally to go for help. There's one more LC I can try but that won't be til next week sometime, barring any holiday vacation she may be on...
#9 of 20 Old 07-04-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I looked up tongue ties, we have many of the symptoms- slow weight gain, painful latch, it feels like he's gnawing my nipple off- the pain radiates down my shoulders and back, like a muscle pain. :-/
The pediatrician who said it looked like a minor tongue tie is out of town for like two weeks too, so I can't even talk to her either.
#10 of 20 Old 07-04-2014, 07:00 PM

I very strongly suggest visiting the Facebook group Tongue Tie Babies support group
The mother's ibclcs and doctors on there are amazing and they can tell you who in your area is trained in dealing with tongue ties. Sometimes a "minor tie" is really much worse. I was told my son was lazy, colicy, had reflux and gassy feel asleep because he's a baby and a lazy eater. In my case I have a bad oversupply so weight gain was not a problem but I was chewed on A's torn up like you say and our latch was picture perfect. After finding a tongue tie expert that know the severity of its effects on breastfeeding I was amazed at how restricted his tongue actually was and how much better it got after we saw the right person
It's not easy but read some of the stories of mothers they sound months being told the baby is fine and ties aren't a issue. That support group has helped me learn so much I highly recommend just reading through some of the mother's posts abs the info they provide
#11 of 20 Old 07-04-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
A good latch doesn't leave you scabbed, I'd definitely get into a better lc. A nipple shield may help you have more success with less pain. I suggest looking up some of Dr. Jack Newman's work. He wrote a wonderful and easy to use book that delves into breastfeeding topics very nicely. It's sold through La Leche League and probably other places also.
#12 of 20 Old 07-05-2014, 06:58 PM

I would find a local IBCLC, not an LC, and get a second opinion. Also, chiropractic care (for baby) can do wonders with nursing problems.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#13 of 20 Old 07-07-2014, 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=Reneei2;17754498] With the latch issues, and the fact that baby demands 2-3 ounces per feeding, I'm only getting 1-2 ounces reliably when I pump.
QUOTE]

Remember that the amount you get when pumping is not the same as what the baby gets when eating. Babies are much more efficient at removing milk. Plus, pumping is a learned skill and some women respond to a pump better than others. 1-2 ounces is a good amount, especially if you are only pumping one side. Kellymom.com has great info on all things breastfeeding. The amount of formula a baby eats is different than the amount of breastmilk they eat. So you can't compare, and don't be concerned you are making enough just based on what you pump. I know this time is really hard. Your hormones are a mess and your body is recovering and you are trying your best to feed your baby. I'm sorry it sucks so much. We support you. I hope you are able to find some good help soon!

#14 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies and support! I did join the Facebook group mentioned above, and while we saw the same ped this week as last (the one who said eh not so bad on the tongue), this week when I asked about it again, and listed the symptoms of tongue tie to him, he took a second look. He said it looked worse than the previous week... So definitely need someone more knowledgable in that area, because how could it 'get worse' in a week :-/
Good news is, he did refer us to an ENT and they are seeing us tomorrow. Hopefully this will get us on the path toward a definitive answer.
I'm still pumping (feels like all the time!) trying to save my supply, hoping baby will be able to get back to the boob soon!
#15 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 02:00 PM

Yeah! I hope the ENT is able to help.

#16 of 20 Old 07-15-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we saw the ENT this morning (delayed the appt due to some insurance issues), and he says baby is not tongue or lip tied. :-/ he seemed very knowledgeable about bfing and was kind of baffled. He said my son has the strongest latch he's ever seen in a baby (when he put his finger in baby's mouth to feel around), and didn't really have any advice.
I've been exclusively pumping on the worse side for almost two weeks now, but I latched him on earlier and let him nurse as long as I could stand (about 15 mins), and the other side too.
I'm going to attend a bfing group sometime soon and do before and after weigh ins, if he is getting anything I will continue to try and nurse. It's very discouraging to not have any answers, but at least I know it's not his tongue or lip now. :-/
#17 of 20 Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 AM

hi! my son has super latch too! i also tried to put my finger in his mouth and his sucking was so strong that i thought how he didn't rip my nipple off
with the help of a great LC i found that the football position easy the pain a little bit and I have been wearing Silverette silver cups 24/7 , taking them off just for nursing.
They work healing my soreness and cracks and the LC told me that they prevent the cracks from getting infected! ( i am scared about mastitis!!!!)
good luck!!
#18 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I had to work on re-latching if the latch was painful for me. Changing baby's position and making sure they opened that little jaw well enough was helpful. Also, as they get older their mouths get bigger and the nipple moves further into the mouth and away from all that chomping!
It was really hard to pull baby off and be patient with redoing the latch but it helped my pain so much. Do you hold his chin open while latching on? I had to do that AND then use my finger to make sure his lips were flared out and not tucked in. Even a little less flare was painfull.
Take care! It does get better!
#19 of 20 Old 09-23-2014, 11:33 PM

Hey there! I'm really sorry for you - painful nipples are such an awful thing. I have twin boys 2 1/2 months old and in the first weeks my left nipple was split in two and my other was bruised/scabbed/scarred from trauma. The folks at the hospital AND their pediatricians said they had great latches and weren't tongue tied. In desperation due to low milk supply I paid for a private lactation consultant to come to my house, observe and all for two hours. She said their suck is good but they both have tongue tie - and two different kinds! She got really irritated when I told her that no one else had seen it and she showed me the ties and explained them. She also took down the name of the pediatrician lol.

Anyway, I can now exclusively bf. we just kept on trucking. The football hold is a must for tandem feeding. I would like to suggest pumping until you heal and trying a different position - whenever I nurse just one baby in the traditional nursing position, I end up hurting for days afterwards (though nothing like those first few weeks, thank God!). When that happens, I will pump for a 5 hour period and then reintroduce nursing. Usually that works.

Hope this helped!
#20 of 20 Old 10-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Renee, how are you doing now?

I had nipple pain and scabbing with both babies for about the first 3 weeks. With my first I just applied lanolin after every feeding, took a lot of ibuprofen, and when he clamped down really hard with his bony gums I took my mom's advice: scream, unlatch him, and set him down for a few minutes. When my second baby started throwing up blood, I learned how much more accessible LCs have become in the past decade! The Breastfeeding Center of Pittsburgh is awesome, and my insurance paid for it. The LCs helped me correct the latch and improve our nursing positions. They also prescribed a nipple cream that is made by a compounding pharmacy, with antibiotic and antifungal and anesthetic ingredients as well as moisturizer. All that helped a lot!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page