Nipple & Breast Issues 9 Months After Weaning? Update Post #1 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-01-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nipple & Breast Issues 9 Months After Weaning? Update Post #1

UPDATE

I wanted to update in the event others find this post and have a similar problem. I ended up calling for a sooner appointment and they surprisingly had one. I had to wait a ridiculous amount of time to be seen, but it worked out.

Despite my youngest weaning at least 7-8 months ago (if not 9 months, I'd have to check my records), my doctor thinks I have a deep yeast/thrush issue. She doesn't think the Diflucan dosage and time frame I was previously on was enough so she wants me to go on a two week, steady dosage. We'll see if that helps! If it doesn't improve, we will talk about a further course of action.

I will say, over the weekend, I expressed in a very, very hot shower. It helped the pain a lot. It also felt like I had glass shards in my breast while I did it. I think I had a plugged duct from sleeping on that side.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*
Maybe I should put this in the health forum, but I'm hoping for BTDT advice. For what it's worth, I do have an appointment, but it's a while out.

• 3 months ago I started getting a cracked right nipple, itching, and soreness in my breast.
  • I did have a short period of cracking in my left nipple, but it went away quickly and hasn't returned.
  • No noticeable lumps.
  • My nipple is cracking off and on...a lot. When cracked, it's open, raw, and red, right at the base. I use homemade APNO and it will go away, but it comes back.
  • I can express milk my right breast (not my left).
  • I took Diflucan to rule out a yeast infection. No change.

Is there anything I can do to dry myself up further? Also, what's up with the cracked nipple?

Last edited by Mulvah; 07-10-2014 at 03:42 PM.
#2 of 3 Old 07-01-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'd want to go back to the doctor about the continued cracking. I'm maybe extra twitchy on breast weirdness. The ongoing soreness and the open skin worry me. Someone has to look at that. I don't think that a plugged duct would cause the cracking you're experiencing.

I don't know what's in your APNO. The recipes I can find online suggest prescription ingredients - an antibiotic, and anti-fungal, and a corticosteroid - and at some point, I start worrying that you're killing off beneficial fauna on your skin, and then just drying out your skin really horribly. Personally, I'd coat it with lanolin or aquaphor and see if it gets better that way. As experiments go, it probably won't hurt to try. But call the doctor back while you're at it.
#3 of 3 Old 07-02-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
I'd want to go back to the doctor about the continued cracking. I'm maybe extra twitchy on breast weirdness. The ongoing soreness and the open skin worry me. Someone has to look at that. I don't think that a plugged duct would cause the cracking you're experiencing.

I don't know what's in your APNO. The recipes I can find online suggest prescription ingredients - an antibiotic, and anti-fungal, and a corticosteroid - and at some point, I start worrying that you're killing off beneficial fauna on your skin, and then just drying out your skin really horribly. Personally, I'd coat it with lanolin or aquaphor and see if it gets better that way. As experiments go, it probably won't hurt to try. But call the doctor back while you're at it.
Thanks for your response!

I do have an appointment, but it's a while out, so I'm trying to deal with it in the meantime.

I actually explored further last night and I definitely have a plugged duct of some kind. I can squeeze a good amount of milk out and it almost feels like a razor blade is in there, though I can't feel a lump. My milk is thick and very salty and I'm wondering if the breast squishing at night is causing me to leak salty milk, which is cracking my nipple. Maybe the homemade APNO is making it worse. I'll try Lanolin tonight.

I cannot believe I'm having breast problems so long after weaning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page