I wanted to update in the event others find this post and have a similar problem. I ended up calling for a sooner appointment and they surprisingly had one. I had to wait a ridiculous amount of time to be seen, but it worked out.
Despite my youngest weaning at least 7-8 months ago (if not 9 months, I'd have to check my records), my doctor thinks I have a deep yeast/thrush issue. She doesn't think the Diflucan dosage and time frame I was previously on was enough so she wants me to go on a two week, steady dosage. We'll see if that helps! If it doesn't improve, we will talk about a further course of action.
I will say, over the weekend, I expressed in a very, very hot shower. It helped the pain a lot. It also felt like I had glass shards in my breast while I did it. I think I had a plugged duct from sleeping on that side.
Just wanted to update this in the event anyone else reads this looking for a solution to their own problem.
The yeast medication didn't help much. I'm still struggling with cracking nipples. I went to a breast specialist for some genetic testing results and had her examine it. She said it looks okay and is probably eczema. I have a cream and have to go bra-less at night, something I hate doing and haven't done up to this point in my life. It is helping a little, but not completely. I will see her again if my breast changes in appearance, etc., but for now, I just have to see what happens.
Maybe I should put this in the health forum, but I'm hoping for BTDT advice. For what it's worth, I do have an appointment, but it's a while out.
- 3 months ago I started getting a cracked right nipple, itching, and soreness in my breast.
- I did have a short period of cracking in my left nipple, but it went away quickly and hasn't returned.
- No noticeable lumps.
- My nipple is cracking off and on...a lot. When cracked, it's open, raw, and red, right at the base. I use homemade APNO and it will go away, but it comes back.
- I can express milk my right breast (not my left).
- I took Diflucan to rule out a yeast infection. No change.
Is there anything I can do to dry myself up further? Also, what's up with the cracked nipple?